Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Dresden Quilt Blocks

About 22 yrs ago I was given these unfinished dresden blocks. They belonged to a friend of mine, that had passed away, and her family didn't know anything about them, since she did not quilt. So I became the recipient who didn't know what to do with them except put them in storage, since I didn't know how to quilt either.

After learning to quilt 3 yrs ago, I decided to ask my LQS how I might finish them. I was told not to add any new material in order to keep it's present age. I simply sewed them together and quilted each dresden. It was suggested I frame the quilt, it measures approx 28 by 37, but I'm not sure what to do. I am guessing the material dates in the 30s or 40s.

Whatever I do, I am so glad I learned to quilt, so that the original quilters' talented work can now be complete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is neat, you should custom frame it, that would be awesome hanging on a wall and it would protect the quilt.

this is really nice. You have inspired my to take a second look at some I picked up at an antique store. No new projects now though. Have too many WIPs to finish before spring

Blog Entries
    What an awesome way to finish them and a wonderful tribute to your friend :mrgreen: No clue on how to display it though. GREAT Job :thumbup:

That is beautiful and you have preserved someones lovely blocks. Great job.

Blog Entries
    It's beautiful. It's a wonderful feeling to finish something that another quilter started.

It's a wonderful piece. Did you put as much info as you could on the label about it's origins? I wouldn't frame it, but sure would make sure it's hanging somewhere to be enjoyed.

The fabrics by themselves are so diverse, yet together work so well. You have a wonderful gift to frame and hang.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    It's a wonderful piece. Did you put as much info as you could on the label about it's origins? I wouldn't frame it, but sure would make sure it's hanging somewhere to be enjoyed.
    I haven't put a label on this one as I'm not sure what to say since I'm not the originator. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This might be a little better picture. :idea:
    Attached Images Attached Images

They're beautiful. How wonderful that you learned to quilt and put them together. You did a great job. Whoever made them is smiling right about now. I would frame them and hang.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    That is beautiful! Regarding the label I would put any information you have about the original quilter and what point she got it to then your own name and the date and how you finished it. I would hang it with a sleeve sewn to the back, out of direct sun. If you don't have a spot in your house, I expect I could find one here for it! :lol:

I LOVE it!! I acquired a bunch of old blocks (not nearly as attractive as yours, but treasures, nonetheless) and since I don't applique I am wondering what to do with them. Maybe I'll learn to applique......... I've taken classes, but never really enjoyed it much. Anyway, I would make sure this quilt is enjoyed and displayed, not framed, and not in direct light and be sure to refold it occasionally (I'm sure there are other tips to care for it), it's beautiful.

Very nice work.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    very nice and what a precious

That's beautiful!

Wonderful in so many ways...I've always thought that the "treasures" left unfinished by our "thread sisters" could put smiles on their faces if someone cared enough to complete them...I know that your friend must be wipin' tears of joy from her smiling face now. She definitely passed you a plate full of love, friendship, and inspiration. And you certainly knew how to appreciate and reciprocate...that quilt is truly beautiful. Love's labors bear such wonderful fruit! Thanks so much for sharing with everyone!

Not only does the quilt have a wonderful history, but your really made it into a beautiful quilt

Such a beautiful quilt!!!

Absolutely beautiful. Soft and sweet are the words that come to my mind.

How sweet these blocks are! I love the fabrics. It is so neat that they are finally into a quilt where they belong. Nic work!

After I finished this quilt I showed it to my friends husband and new wife of 22yrs, who by the way is a wonderful person and has become a friend also. She made a comment that made me feel a little obligated to return the finished quilt to them.
    However, after thinking it over I decided to keep it for myself as a keepsake of my friend who passed away. I figured it was given to me in pieces, by the family, with no thought or meaning of any value then, so why should I feel obligated to give it back now. It took awhile to come to this conclusion so I hope I made the right choice and I cherish the quilt as I did my friend.

Lneal, I think you made the right choice. You did a excellent job on the quilt and I'm sure your friend is smiling down from up above.

It is wonderful. Love those 30's and 40's fabrics.

How about "Second Time Around" or "Twice Loved" or, ok so I am not that good naming quilts.

They're beautiful. I don't know if I would frame or drape it over a table.

Sewww very very nice :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast