Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Old floppy, help with pricing? >

Old floppy, help with pricing?

Old floppy, help with pricing?

Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 AM

No idea but thank you for sharing. Have a Blessed day Ellen
Old 05-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

goodness, i'd start at $300.00 and then let them talk you down.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:08 AM

I'd say repair it, quilt it, then sell at craft sale, or auction it, to get more for it. It's pretty!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:43 AM

Very well put, thanks for making it clear so all of us understand just how this works. Every now and then I get asked about some old quilt or top and if I just have to say, I don't know but now you have given me some inside thoughts on just how to explain what makes or breaks the reality of what they are worth. Yes I quilt, but I'm very new at it and no I don't have any idea what the old ones are worth but most people think just because you know how to do stuff, you must know something about it's worth. That is so NOT true, at least for me it's not.

Anyway, thanks Jan for giving me some good information I can pass on as needed.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I know as quilters we all love "old"/vintage/antique quilts and textiles. But we also too often have an inflated idea of their monetary value because we value them merely for their age and the work/love that went into them by a "sister" from years ago.

But you need to look at these quilts with a critical eye for their sale value, the replacement value, an insurance value, and so forth. Those are the values an appraiser will look at for any quilt for which they've been approached for appraisal; and their appraisals are what set the fairly standard values across the country. Emotion doesn’t sell well.

In "general", across the country, most certified quilt appraisers are finding that the quilts appraised 5-10 years ago would not appraise for the same value today. The market, along with much else in the economy, has declined.

There are more vintage/antique quilts around being offered for sale than most people realize, and their quality is usually very much higher than anything we can find at a yard sale, flea market, or even an antique store. The quilts that are bringing in upwards of $400+ are often to be found with reputable dealers, not for sale by your average owner/quilter.

There are thousands and thousands of quilt tops in this country that were never completed, like this one, all too often because they had construction problems in the first place -- and that made completing them nearly impossible without reworking in a major way. I'll bet every single one of us has seen one somewhere.

All this to say, that since you are selling this top in a rummage sale venue, you'll need to ask rummage sale prices for it. It is only worth what a willing seller will sell for and a willing buyer will pay; if you want to sell it during THIS sale, don't drive your buyer away with a price too high to even start a negotiation.

Jan in VA
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM

I bought a very well made hand pieced quilt top at a local estate sale. Think I paid $15.00. Didn't know it was hand pieced until I got it home. Was I surprised. I was in a hurry from work and didn't really look at the back side - just knew I liked what I saw and for $15 I wasn't going to be picky. It's a double bed size and when I get through with all the grad gifts, baby quilt and two wedding gifts, I'm going to tie it and keep it for myself. Right now I'm displaying it in my grandmothers rocker with a beautiful embroidered table cloth over the back from the same sale.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks again for your responses. I still have it, and we plan to see what we can do with it.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

The quilt looks wonderful and just needs a little love to enhance it's beauty.
It would be wonderful if you would do the mending and finish it so someone would buy & use it!
It's sad to see wasted quilts!