Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Old Quilt >

Old Quilt

Old Quilt

Old 03-15-2024, 02:12 PM

Default Old Quilt

Hello,
I remember growing up my mom had a quilt in the closet, and I recently asked her if she could send it to me. It's a lot older than I realized, and I was surprised to see it was much more yellow/brown than I'd remembered. My great great grandmother made it as a wedding gift for my grandmother. I used retro clean to soak it and that took a lot of the residue and old smell out. But now that I see how worn it is, I'm not sure if I should be using it in my home as a throw (which was the intention). I have a sewing machine but don't know how to use it. Is it bad to add wear and tear to such an old quilt? Should I treat it more like an heirloom and try to preserve it? That seems like a bit of a waste to me. It's just been sitting in a cedar chest or closet since I was a little kid (and I'm 44). Any thoughts on the matter from all of you with quilting experience? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails img_1740.jpeg   img_1741.jpeg   img_1742.jpg  
Old 03-15-2024, 02:51 PM

I am a believer in using those quilts. If they were meant to be heirlooms they should be in a museum. Can you pick out the damaged pieces and hand sew new ones in place?
Old 03-16-2024, 04:02 AM

This is a family heirloom. Perhaps it's not worthy of museum display but certainly worthy of the tlc of something made as a special gift by your grandmother's grandmother on your grandparents' special day. To use it routinely and put it through everyday use and repeated laundry probably will not be the best thing for it. Do bring it out to display and enjoy in your home but use it gently and remember these women who went before you. No doubt the quilt was hand pieced and hand quilted so a lot of time, skill and love went into making it. And apparently it has been protected through the years as something of family importance. Treat it with care.
And by the way--does it have a label so anyone who sees it in years to come will understand its significance?
Old 03-16-2024, 04:03 AM

I have a sewing machine (with table) that I picked up at a yard sale about 10-15 years ago. I used the table for a TV stand for all of those years. About 3 months ago, I pulled it out to see if I could get it working. I knew almost nothing about sewing, but I watched a bunch of youtube videos on sewing machine repair, and got it going.

My partner does a lot of quilting, so I thought "I could probably do that..." Well, I did a placemat that turned out pretty well, so next I did a full tablerunner and placemat set that turned out even better. I just finished my first full size quilt top!

I'm saying this because, you might find that if you pull out that sewing machine, add a little oil, watch a few youtube videos - you'll really enjoy it! At the very least, you'll really appreciate what your great-great grandmother did. And I agree - I'd use that quilt, and then repair it when you learn how... It's a truly beautiful quilt!
Old 03-16-2024, 04:05 AM

What a beauty! Use it gently and enjoy would be my vote.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:59 AM

I would display it on a shelf or throw on the back of a sofa, but not use it. It's beautiful! and so special - a wedding ring quilt given as a wedding present.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

If used do so gently.

Do not let the kids use it for a tent or let the cats or dogs on it. Those claws are hard on fragile fabrics.

It is beautiful.

Old 03-16-2024, 06:24 AM

Your story should be an inspiration to many.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:50 AM

I'm going to add to my earlier comment. Seeing the torn/missing pieces indicates that the quilt indeed has been used and loved in the past. Look closer. Are those pieces "brown"? It seems the dyes of the past for brown have not held up well over the years. I don't know that you will want to fix that quilt if there is a lot to be done. I'd simply fold it so those aren't as noticeable and display it in my home. It does indicate that the family has loved it and used it through the years.
I notice that my daughter has hung the worn quilt from her childhood on a wall rack, tatters and all. Memories on display!
Old 03-16-2024, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

It looks like it was made from feedbacks. I would appliqué patches of fabric that matched, to any spots that the batting was showing to preserve it. I would then display it on a quilt ladder as a decoration only.