Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: One of my Round Robin Quilts

Banned
    This quilt is the result of a round robin with friends that I met at Elly The next one is a round robin quilt with 4 of my friends from Elly Sienkienwicz Applique Academy. I did the center and the other rounds per added by my friends. This quilt went all over the world to be completed. The farthest was Ireland. Anyone want to do a round robin?

Close up of the center block
    Name:  Attachment-15320.jpe
Views: 478
Size:  34.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! Gorgeous!!!

Beautiful!! You do great work.

There is actually a round robin taking place now. I am not involved in it as I am still a beginner and don't have the techniques that the others do or the stash. But if you search for round robin you will be able to read the posts and see some of the pictures. They are great.

Kyia

Banned
    I found that thread. You girls go nice work.

Can't wait to see the finished quilts.

I have to say that you shouldn't be afraid to do one of these, even as a beginner. As long as you agree to do the best work you can, you will add something to the projects. Any your round doesn't have to be difficult to add value......even simple borders can add to a complex project.

Hope you will reconsider next time....

Judy

Your work is so precise and beautiful. All I can say is WOW!!

That is absolutely stunning.

Can you tell us the other places where input to the quilt took place.

I am game if others are to do a Round Robin from all over the World. So if anyone doesn´t mind the postage costs I don´t.
    How about it ladies.

Elle

Banned
    Well, the first one I did include Ireland, USA and Australia.

This one went from Kansas (me) to California, Ireland, and the last two in Baltimore, MD.

For this particular round robin, we were all provided a yard of the same fabric to use in our center blocks. If you look at the picture closely, the fabric was those pinkish flowers in the basket. It is also the flowers and circle things that the hummingbirds are drinking from. It was a chintz.

The next round, with the vines is from California.
    Next is white applique flowers and hummingbirds on a light blue background. It is quilted with blue thread, which made the applique stand out better. This round done in Ireland

Then is the octagon plates that are machine appliqued using all different fabrics, done in Baltimore.

The last round is a printed fabric and simply applied. This one was also done in Baltimore.

I would be happy to create a set of rules and post for participants if you would like and we'll see if we get enough interested.

This one only had 5 and that really is plenty.

I should also let you know that you cant guarantee every one will finish on time or even send you your tops back. This happens seldom, but it is a risk. One that I am willing to take as I really enjoy the process

Judy

That quilt is gorgeous!
    There is NO WAY I could do something like that! Just not in my league!

Elle...I'd do an International Round Robin! Can't guarantee beauty like you do, but I'm in if you want!!!

Wow thanks Judy,

Terri, that would be fabulous wouldn´t.

May be we are all at different levels, but we sure have some talented quilters on the Board.

From what I have seen happen on this Board I think we would have a very good bet of everyone doing there hardest to pass it on.

How about an International one then.....

I am in. Elle

Banned
    As long as you do your best work, it will be fine.

Please dont be intimidated.

I will work up the rules and post. So far we are three, so I think if we have two more, we are good to go.

We dont have to do a quilt this large. Let me know your preference on that topic. We started with a 30" center. We can start smaller or just let people do what they like and see what happens. Let me know what you think.

We do need some guidelines and Ill work on that today.

Judy

That would be fine.
    I can't do anything for at least 2 weeks.
    Doesn't look good for the next 2 days for me to get out of here and get back to Hawaii. I'm trying and keep your fingers crossed.
    It should be easier for me to get back. I found that there are TONS of people wanting Hawaii and no one wanting Guam, so the way back will be easier, I hope.

Okay, Set up the rules Judy and also what we can and cannot do.

For instance, not everyone can do Borderie Perse, but some can do paper piece, applique, needle turn applique etc etc.

Elle

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    That would be fine.
    I can't do anything for at least 2 weeks.
    Doesn't look good for the next 2 days for me to get out of here and get back to Hawaii. I'm trying and keep your fingers crossed.
    It should be easier for me to get back. I found that there are TONS of people wanting Hawaii and no one wanting Guam, so the way back will be easier, I hope.
    I am keeping me fingers crossed for you. Have a safe trip with your daughter and looing forward to hearing you are safely back in Guam.

Elle

Banned
    Here is the other one I did. I haven't quilted it yet.

The center is mine and the others are from Ireland and Baltimore.

The pink chevrons are pieced and the next applique with the flowers and vines was done by a beginner. The outside border is a very simple pieced border. So, as you can see, everyone can contribute the beauty of the quilt regardless of their expertiese.

As for the postage, here is how I view that expense.... You are doing this work for me, so it is worth the money to send it to you.

I will allow two months between due dates to allow for the time to post from country to country. That should give us 4-6 weeks to work on each round.

Ill send you each a PM with the rules when I get them put together.

Judy
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW!!!!! I am SO impressed--there is NO WAY I could do that!!! Thank goodness there are people with your talent to inspire others. Thanks for sharing

May I just ask do you tell each participant what is required on the quilt or is it up to them.

Where does the quilt finish up?

I am not in the same league as you, however if I strive to improve I can only get better, hopefully :D and I would obviously do my best. Even though I am now quaking in my shoes.....

I am hoping some others will join in. where are you??? Stop lurking and common in.

Elle

Banned
    No, telling you what to do would defeat the purpose..

Here is how it works...

Each quilter in the round robin will create their own center block..Any fabric, any technique.
    Then it is sent on to the next quilter in line, who adds a border, any technique but keeping in the color scheme and style of the center block.

This continues until everyone in the round robin has added a border to each quilt.

The last person sends the quilt top back to the person who started it...

So, 5 quilters, 5 quilts... Everyone gets theirs back with all that great imagination and work of all the quilters added on... It is so great....

The rules are usually concerned with quality of fabric and deadlines...

Quote Originally Posted by jstitch
    No, telling you what to do would defeat the purpose..

Here is how it works...

Each quilter in the round robin will create their own center block..Any fabric, any technique.
    Then it is sent on to the next quilter in line, who adds a border, any technique but keeping in the color scheme and style of the center block.

This continues until everyone in the round robin has added a border to each quilt.

The last person sends the quilt top back to the person who started it...

So, 5 quilters, 5 quilts... Everyone gets theirs back with all that great imagination and work of all the quilters added on... It is so great....

The rules are usually concerned with quality of fabric and deadlines...
    Okay, that sounds good to me. The ladies on the Board have been doing it that way with stunning results.

Its so difficult when you live abroad and I wanted to join in but thought it would be unfair.
    It would be good if we good wait for Terri in Guam to get back from her journey.
    Meanwhile I am rading a book by Elly Sienkiewicz called Design a Baltimore Album Quilt. Just going to have another read to pick up some tips.
    Thank you in advance for taking the time and trouble to organise this.
    Really looking forward to it.
    I think if you Post it under International Quilt Round Robin, you will definately get interest. It may even be that there will be two going at the same time with different people in.

Elle

Yes, please wait until I am back! :)

Those are both so pretty. Way out of my league too.

Blog Entries
    Ladies, I'm still a newbie but would love to be a part of this if you would trust me with your quilts. How much time would we have to do our center block? And what size should the center be? I'm really scared, but will be sooo happy to learn from this!

Patti

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Ladies, I'm still a newbie but would love to be a part of this if you would trust me with your quilts. How much time would we have to do our center block? And what size should the center be? I'm really scared, but will be sooo happy to learn from this!

Patti
    Don't be scared!
    I'm going to do this one AND if there's another one like the one I'm already in, I'll do that one too!

Blog Entries
    Then I'm in!! (Still shaking tho'...maybe you and I can start a "shakin'" dance Elle!! :D

Then I'm in!! (Still shaking tho'...maybe you and I can start a "shakin'" dance Elle!! :D
    There's nothing to be scared about. If I can do it, anyone can!

Great Patti, we are all scared to death, but excited to be able to have the chance to do something as wonderful as this. Good on you girl.
    That makes 4 by my reckoning.

Elle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast