Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paper pieced top done but?

..as mentioned that wonderful piece should not be hidden in a bedroom...front and center! You have won the Golden Needle Award......

Spectacular quilt!! I don't have the nerve to tackle one like that! Your ideas on finishing sound good to me--but as others have said don't distract from your fabulous piecing!!

Blog Entries
    This needs to be bordered with a very minute lime green border; maybe to equal one inch when finished; then hung as it is a work of art. The small lime green border would enhance, not detract from your work of art. Awesome job! GiGi

Awesome, awesome! You've got good instinct for expanding!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    That is just stunning. I have heard that her patterns are quite challenging to say the least. I think you are on the right track with the borders you mention. I would plan it so the last colored border hit the edge of the mattress. In the "More Black?" portion (the 'fall' that hangs off the edge of the mattress) I would think about scattering some small tumbling blocks to echo the ones in the quilt, especially if you have some left over fabric from the ones in the quilt. You could piece them into the border, or applique them, which would be easier.
    I think this would be perfect.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

You did a super job! The border idea you have sounds good. I do also like the idea of flying geese in the border to use up your scraps.

Blog Entries
    WOWEE! i agree with sending it to a museum! But I know you want this for yourself. Who wouldn't? WOW! So I think your borders are the right way to go.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Amazing!! Keep going!! Its beautiful!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Wow phenomenal what an undertaking for a new quilter but you were certainly up for the task, how long has it taken you to get this far?
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Super job! Great work on this. Yes, simple borders will make the center shine. Thanks for sharing this. I had not yet seen this pattern from her.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

After reading a few suggestions I am still thinking of expanding this to a larger quilt, using it as a piece of art doesn't work for my home. I believe a king mattress is close to 82" wide and my more reflective thought is to initially frame the 60" panel with a green batik ( suggestion from a viewer) then a strip of black, then another slightly different width of yellow batik, more black then orange batik to take the quilt to the edge of the mattress. Then a drop (hope that is correct term) that is again black, but in each corner a colorful New York Beauty with the spikes outlined in black. Someone suggested tumbling blocks used as a decorative element on the sides and I liked that idea but struggled so with “Y” seams that I am positive I will never do a tumbling block quilt...ever! I am still unsure how to make this all happen as most quilts seem to have a symmetry and if this panel is in the center of the bed and below the pillows...that throws things “off” a bit and needs further thought?

I am truly humbled by your praise and appreciate your encouragement, just never ask for photo of the back of anything I piece as it is a nest of loose threads, some well placed fabric glue and seams that reflect a lot of creativity to get a match.

Beautiful, how hard was it? I have the Aurora pattern and fabric but have not yet gotten up the nerve to do it. I would keep it if I were you, in its original size, as a lot of technical hard work went into it.
    Diane
    Casa Grande, Arizona

Quilting about two years... so not NEW but hardly experienced. I lost three knuckles, in a freak accident, on my dominant working hand and got talked into quilting for a diversion. This top is my third paper pieced project and I ultimately found that the freezer paper method is the way to go. Not sure I would ever do anything like this again...the larger meandering curves and tight inner corners were a serious challenge but J.DeJonge sure has some great designs!

From 60" to King is a lot, but you may be able to get away with some border of the same colors you used in the body. Do you have enough left to do two or three good wide ones?

Be sure not to get too fancy, or you will have to change your name to basket case.
    Last edited by Boston1954; 11-28-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    With all the work that went into this quilt I think it should be a wall quilt!!! It is fabulous!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

That is really lovely! I'd use a plain border in order not to upstage your marvelous piecing of the center.

This is probably the most beautiful paper pieced quilt that I have ever seen. I can't wait to show my grandson who also wants to learn to quilt. Congratulations on a real work of art and thank you for sharing.
    p.s. love the colours and good luck when you decide on a border. Please don't forget to post pics of the finished quilt. Thanks again.

I just went back and looked at your quilt again. I am wondering why you don't want to finish it as a wall hanging, it would be stunning and a great conversation starter.....and....I wouldn't put a border on it if it's made into a wall hanging.
    Last edited by watson's mom; 11-28-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Power Poster
    WOW - what a totally awesome quilt. Adding borders would certainly work to enlarge the quilt, not sure which color or colors to use though.

I agree with the simple borders. Great job for a newer quilter.

AWESOME QUILT! Hard to believe you are new to quilting and can do that,.....you must have a quilting gene! I like the Idea of a king size, if you don't have a great space to display it.

Power Poster
    beautiful!!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Nice paper piecing quilt.
    Carol

Power Poster
    Beautiful quilt, oh my that quilt is a challenge for a beginner quilter and you nailed it.

Firstly - stunning - secondly - It does not surprise me in the least you are male, in my experience the fellas are a lot more adventurous than the female of the species when it comes to design/projects. There is a method of doing tumbling blocks without a 'y' seam, I am not good at explaining, but here's a link to a tutorial I have found which may help if you are keen on the idea of incorporating them:

http://scrapatches.blogspot.com.au/2...ftsy-blog.html

Whatever you decide will work well.....and we would love to see it finished....(not so subtle hint).

Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    oh my, so awesome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast