Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pic of dog top couch throw is completed >

Pic of dog top couch throw is completed

Pic of dog top couch throw is completed

Old 07-02-2008, 02:12 PM

By the way, is this your own dog? Looks like a Boxer.?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

WOW! You did an AWESOME job!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM

Oh my gosh, thank you all for the compliments.

I will try to type up what I did and get it posted as soon as possible.

Donna
Old 07-02-2008, 04:51 PM

I took a picture of Cyra on my digital camera and brought it into Corel PhotoPaint. I resampled it to the size of 24" x 24". I then made the rulers visible so I could see exactly where I wanted to "cut" each piece.

When you start cutting you want to do all the pieces at one sitting, ask me how I know this. Anyhow, I cut a 6" square and then select file, new from clipboard and it pasted it as a new picture. I exported that as row 1, square 1. The next piece I cut was from 6" over to 12" over and down to 6". Again, I selected new from clipboard and exported that as row 1, square 2. I did all of row 1 that way naming the squares consecutively up to 4. I then did the same thing for rows 2, 3 and 4, ie: row 2, squares 1, 2, 3 and 4. Row 2 started at 0", over to 6" and down to 12"

Here is sort of an example:

Col
0...____6_____12_____18_____24

6...R1 S1 | R1 S2| R1 S3 | R1 S4 | Row 1

12 R2 S1|______|______|______| Row 2

18 _____|______|______|______| Row 3

24 _____|______|______|______| Row 4

Then I laid out all the squares onto one sheet of "paper" each in Corel Draw (if I had thought ahead, I would have made them bigger, it was a bit of a waste of fabric) and printed them out on fabric. So, it was a total of 16 pages of 6" x 6" photos. After they were printed, I let them dry a half hour, took them off the labels and let them set over night (approx. 24 hrs). Then I hand washed them in woolite, let them dry, ironed them and then cut around the pic leaving a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Now, a couple of things, I went to our LQS when they had a lecture by Joe Hesch who has a couple of books out for printing on fabric. I did have a question for him but he didn't know how to work around my problem which I solved by wasting fabric, "how I learned that I may want to make my squares either larger or small enough to put more than one on a sheet of fabric".

For the fabric, I bought unbleached muslin, cut that into 9 1/2 x 12 inch sheets. I bought full sheet sized labels. I treated the fabric sheets with Bubble Jet Set 2000 and put them on the labels. I then trimmed them so there were no loose threads and ran each one thru the printer. I did not load more than one at a time just to make sure I didn't waste any more fabric if the printer happened to take more than one sheet. I then did what I stated above as far as drying, hand washing and ironing goes.

Just some general info, when you wash them, make sure that the piece lays flat as you put it in the water, you don't want the pic to fold over or the print will leave a bit of dye on other areas.

I have two printers, Dell Photo 926 and the HP 4180. The Dell prints an amazingly sharp photo on photo paper tho the colors don't seem to be quite true. and the ink FADES horribly on fabric. The HP doesn't print quite as sharp on photo paper but the colors are more accurate and the ink does fade but not hardly at all. I will say the less red you have in anything, the better the picture will be. Red is a horrid color to keep from fading but I bet most of you already know that.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps some of you. If something isn't clear, please ask and I will try to help. Also I may have made some errors in typing but that was cuz the wrong key jumped up and hit my finger.

Donna
Old 07-02-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeeJays10
I took a picture of Cyra. . .

Also I may have made some errors in typing but that was cuz the wrong key jumped up and hit my finger.

Donna
Cyra, what a pretty name for such a cute dog!

You are too funny! "... the wrong key jumped up and hit my finger." That happens to me all the time, only I didn't realize it. Whew! Glad it's not me! 8)

Thanks for the instructions!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 PM

That's amazing! Way to go!