Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pic of my keyboard border made this evening. >

Pic of my keyboard border made this evening.

Pic of my keyboard border made this evening.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Banned

great job and thank you for sharing. Penny
Old 03-25-2010, 12:31 PM

Forgot to ask earlier, was just in awe of how clever and beautiful the border is. May we try your design on a quilt? I am new to the board and do not know all the rules yet. I am from Virginia, I am a nurse and I teach nursing when I am not sewing! Thanks, Hester
Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 AM

By all means - if my measurements are of use to anybody else - please, I'd be honoured if they were used to enhance anybody's quilt.
It wasn't all that hard to work out, once I'd decided what width for the ivory strip between the black keys.
It is Friday night now, and I am planning the rest of the wallhanging to stitch over this weekend. I then will only have the balance of the next week to finish the whole project as I'm travelling to see Dad on Easter Saturday...
Leave things to the last minute??? moi? Ha!
(oh yes, there will be more photos)
Old 03-26-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by bronnyb
By all means - if my measurements are of use to anybody else - please, I'd be honoured if they were used to enhance anybody's quilt.
It wasn't all that hard to work out, once I'd decided what width for the ivory strip between the black keys.
It is Friday night now, and I am planning the rest of the wallhanging to stitch over this weekend. I then will only have the balance of the next week to finish the whole project as I'm travelling to see Dad on Easter Saturday...
Leave things to the last minute??? moi? Ha!
(oh yes, there will be more photos)
Thank you "sew" much for allowing the use of your pattern. When I get my nerve up, I am going to try it on a wallhanging or something. My sister played the piano beautifully and has been passed for 16 years now (victim of breast cancer). I think it will be atribute to her memory or something for my family! I am leaning toward using the musical fabric some way and this as the border! I may be sorry I attempted such a wonderful piece of art but, willing to attempt it nonetheless.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:02 AM

You did a GREAT job! Can't wait to see wall hanging. Don't forget to take a pic with your Dad. Hey! I "think" I hear music !! lol
Old 04-05-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by bronnyb
I played with my graph paper this morning and worked out the measurements to make a keyboard. I wouldn't like to stitch anything narrower than 1/4" strip though.
The black keys were cut 1 1/2" wide x 4" long
The thicker ivory keys between the black were cut at 1 1/4" wide x 4" long
The thinner ivory strips were cut at 3/4" x 4" long
The whiter edge strips were cut 1 3/4" wide x 3" long

This is all including a 1/4" seam allowance.

I cut a small piece of ice-cream lid and used double sided tape on my machine to ensure a constant 1/4" seam - it worked!!! surprise surprise!!
I pressed the ivory seams towards the black. I pressed the ivory pair seams open. I was able to match the seams when I stitched the black/ivory strip to the ivory/ivory strip.
I'm so pleased - it worked the way I could see it in my head!!!

I had to share!
Thank you for sharing!!!

Our organist at church out did himself for Easter celebration. I will make something like this for the top of his piano. I am thrilled, not copying, will make it my own.