Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of Quilt display racks

I loved looking at all your handiwork - wood and thread - thank you for sharing.
    :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Your work in wood or cloth is outstanding. Thanks for sharing. Love the large rack with the two beautiful quilts!:)
    I agree!

Power Poster
    you do beutiful work on both quilts and wood

Inquiring minds want to know how you became interested in the art of woodworking and how you gained that level of skills: did you take classes, self taught from books or apprenticed under someone. Your work is amazing. Thanks for sharing with us.
    jean

Beautiful and I love your quilts!

Beautiful display racks to show your beautiful quilts. Your work is outstanding in quilting and wood working.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanharville
    Inquiring minds want to know how you became interested in the art of woodworking and how you gained that level of skills: did you take classes, self taught from books or apprenticed under someone. Your work is amazing. Thanks for sharing with us.
    jean
    I apprenticed as a carpenter in the 1950's in a trade school/high school. Worked as carpenter all week and went to night school for the high school part of it at nights. Continued working as a high rise carpenter, and worked on the highway building projects of the era. I then moved to San Francisco, and continued working high rise construction off and on, because of the downturn in construction, switched to interior remodeling. I continued at that and took ever increasing numbers of higher end types of remodeling jobs.At about that time I married my wife and we only had cheap spinster and bachelor type of furniture. I made a mohogany dresser for my wife for a wedding present, and just kept going from there. I did use some reference books for inspirational ideas. I always was interested in beautiful furniture and how it was made. San Francisco had a lot of high end antique stores which had some lovely pieces. I used to haunt them and look at what they had and the interior construction methods. We used to travel and were always on the lookout for local museums with collections for inspiration. and that about sums up the path I took. In the end of my career. (I retired at age 50) I was pretty much only doing furniture making for select clients, whom I had worked for, for a number of years. This was in the affluent suburbs of San Francisco, which could support that sort of business. I have been retired now for 20 years and have continued to up grade my own furniture collection and made things for relatives and a few close friends, but not for sale. I guess you could say I got into it because of necessity. I liked the nice things I saw but couldn't afford to buy them. So there you go. One carpenters journey.
    John

I love the look of the one in front of the fire place, and I like how the big ones lean against the wall. I need one fire place size, but I would have to have one that leans, the feet would be to wide. Ever made one like that, or does that make sense? Beautiful work, very nice. :thumbup: :) :D

Great quilt racks, beautifully made. And they do a lovely job showing off your wonderful quilts.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Your work is beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us :)
    PS. Your story is very interesting too!

Your first picture should be in the pages of a national magazine! Very beautiful work, both in cherry and in cotton!
    I love your signature line "Making the world a better place,
    One stitch and one dovetail at a time."

You do a wonderful job with wood. I love the quilt racks, they are perfect for show off a quilt. :thumbup:

Very nice. Do you sell any of your pieces?

Love the quilts. The hanger is beautiful but it is the quilts I am looking at.

Blog Entries
    You are quite the talented man. Beautiful racks and quilts!

See now you are really teasing us.........are you in the mood for a new business? It looks like you would have more orders than you could fill already. I am so struck with your work. I see order, structure and passion. Wow. Carpenters are tops in my book.

More beautifully crafted pieces, and cherry wood at that! It is refreshing to see someone use their talents over a lifetime, and to this extent. I know a few people who are very talented, who used their talent for a while and then let it die. I have observed that if you have been gifted with a talent of any kind, and don't use it for an extended period of time, you may have an overall feeling of discontent, but put it back to work, and there will be a feeling of fulfillment. I think if God gives us a gift, he intends for us to use it. Thanks for sharing your gift!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt racks!

Quote Originally Posted by piepatch
    More beautifully crafted pieces, and cherry wood at that! It is refreshing to see someone use their talents over a lifetime, and to this extent. I know a few people who are very talented, who used their talent for a while and then let it die. I have observed that if you have been gifted with a talent of any kind, and don't use it for an extended period of time, you may have an overall feeling of discontent, but put it back to work, and there will be a feeling of fulfillment. I think if God gives us a gift, he intends for us to use it. Thanks for sharing your gift!
    I tend to work at one thing to the exclusion of everything else. If I am doing woodworking, I don't go upstairs in the afternoon or evening, and work on quilting. That is why I never wanted to go into the business of producing large numbers of any one item. I devote so much energy into the one thing I would have a mental breakdown if I had to do 200 of them in a production
    run. What I do, with furniture, is best done one piece at a time. The multiple production approach makes use of different construction methods than I want to use. Not that there is anything wrong with those methods, but they are something that I don't enjoy doing. I was going to make 4 identical quilts for my brothers and sisters and send them out to California for a present, but I could not face the thought of just turning out 4 copies of the same thing. I have done that sort of thing on one quilt, the School House Quilt, but it was not sequential, they were interspersed with other quilting projects. that I could handle. It is just my individual approach that works for me.
    John

Blog Entries
    *W*O*W*
    What talent you have.
    I love Cherry also.
    J J

Blog Entries
    The frames are great and so are all those Quilts.

How do I get to become one of your relatives because I sure do like the furniture that you produce? What gorgeous workmanship!

Oh John, all your work is so beautiful!!

Wow, both your chests and quilt racks are exquisite!!! thanks for sharing

Power Poster
    You do beautiful work. You are indeed, very talented in wood working and quilting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast