Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pictures for Rhonda's Second Sampler Quilt Along >

Pictures for Rhonda's Second Sampler Quilt Along

Pictures for Rhonda's Second Sampler Quilt Along

Old 10-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by Krystyna
Rhonda, I'm wondering if there is a way to cut these using strips. I am a confessed scrapaholic and all the itty bitty pieces are driving me nuts. I can't bring myself to throw them out, but I should.
Yes you can sew strips together for the Bostons or the Kansas Dugouts. You can sew two strips together for the Kansas Dugouts and then trim the center strip to the size you want. Then sew on the third strip. After you have all 3 strips cut then cut off a 3 3/4" sections and then use the 2 1/2" template to cut out your Kansas Dugout. You can pull the remaining leftovers apart and resuse them to sew more strips together and cut out more blocks.

Have you seen my confusion method or the crumb block method that is posted on here? You can sew your little pieces into bigger blocks and do a crazy type block. It uses them up quite nicely!
Off to hunt for the crumbs method. Aside from the frightenly massive stash that I have in my studio, I did the change of season clothes swap in the closet in the eave in my bedroom. EEEEK! I had to pull out FIVE of those giant tubs full of fabric before I got to my clothing. One is completely full of strips and swatches. I better live a long time if I'm going to turn all of this into quilts.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:29 PM

So I redid my block 1 as I decided to go with 6" blocks. Whew...such small pieces. Here is my block 1 and 2. I also had a time with the middle but I didn't tack and will surely try tacking next time. I did enjoy block 2.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-279830.jpe  
Old 10-30-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by efayard
So I redid my block 1 as I decided to go with 6" blocks. Whew...such small pieces. Here is my block 1 and 2. I also had a time with the middle but I didn't tack and will surely try tacking next time. I did enjoy block 2.
Aren't the 6" fun to do, a little trickier, but fun. I have to keep practicing on the smaller ones. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by efayard
I find myself running out of adjectives and I hate using the same phrases all the time! These are great! I love your fabrics and how they turned out. It is terrific to see you doing them in 6 1/2" size.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 AM

Great job Ellen! They look fabulous.

I pulled the middle apart on my block #2 to try tacking those point and resewing... and I poked a small hole in one of my fabrics! Yikes! Now I have a slightly larger job to fix it. I put it down and started on my Iona block so that I wouldn't get too frustrated. Hopefully I'll have a block to join yours soon!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Finally found the picture page for the weekly blocks. Hope everybody else does.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:35 AM

Here is wk 4 Catherine. Not too happy with the brown I chose. Trying to work from my stash. Also these big pictures show off all my flaws.
Attached Thumbnails catherine-wk4.jpg  
Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
Here is wk 4 Catherine. Not too happy with the brown I chose. Trying to work from my stash. Also these big pictures show off all my flaws.
I think the brown works very nicely...flaws? where ---you would have to point them out to me. Good sewing

Judy in Phx
Old 11-05-2011, 09:59 AM

I love the brown. The blocks is are very nice.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 AM

I like the brown, I think when you get them all together you'll like it. I'm just about done with mine too. just have to sew two seams, take a picture and I'll post. But stopped to eat lunch first. Be back in a while. Katie