Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pieced, but not quilted >

Pieced, but not quilted

Pieced, but not quilted

Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 AM

Love them, especially the first. Good job!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 AM

They are both gorgeous. The first one is my favorite. Love the bright colors.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM

I, too, have a torn rotator cuff, but my surgeon said it is not bad enough to do surgery yet. He says when it gets to where I can't lift my arm above straight out, then it will be time for surgery. I just pray I never get to that point. It has been two and a half years now. Trust you will have a great recovery.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 AM

Those rotator cuffs can be so painful, glad to hear that you are well on the mend and soon will be finishing up your pile of tops! Love your patterns and color choices.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

very nice glad you are doing better take care!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Oh my! First off, your quilt tops are beautiful and I am in love with #1 with the HSTs. I have torn both rotator cuffs, no spectacular injury like yours, just daily wear and tear from carrying a heavy leather purse for years (I only use quilted bags now) and probably taking exercise bras on and off daily for many years). I just had surgery on my right shoulder (I'm right handed) 1 1/2 weeks ago. I am already going stir crazy and chomping at the bit for when I can sew again. Everyone's comments have been very helpful to know that it will eventually end. I finally got to sleep in my bed two nights ago, although with the robo-sling it feels like trying to sleep on a camel with two humps.

Good luck with your recovery, and when I'm allowed to piece maybe I will make an HST quilt top like yours. We can start a group called Rotator Cuff Recovery Quilts, lol. Another thing, it sure would be nice if the surgeons used colored thread for those stitches. The black looks positively ghastly!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Z Any Mouse View Post
Oh my! First off, your quilt tops are beautiful and I am in love with #1 with the HSTs. I have torn both rotator cuffs, no spectacular injury like yours, just daily wear and tear from carrying a heavy leather purse for years (I only use quilted bags now) and probably taking exercise bras on and off daily for many years). I just had surgery on my right shoulder (I'm right handed) 1 1/2 weeks ago. I am already going stir crazy and chomping at the bit for when I can sew again. Everyone's comments have been very helpful to know that it will eventually end. I finally got to sleep in my bed two nights ago, although with the robo-sling it feels like trying to sleep on a camel with two humps.

Good luck with your recovery, and when I'm allowed to piece maybe I will make an HST quilt top like yours. We can start a group called Rotator Cuff Recovery Quilts, lol. Another thing, it sure would be nice if the surgeons used colored thread for those stitches. The black looks positively ghastly!
Yes, sleeping with sling is... Shall we say, an experience? I slept sitting up on the couch for few weeks, then in the single guest bed, pushed up against wall, with a huge foam wedge pillow, and finally, in my own bed, but with a little fortress made of pillows all around. I'm now down to one pillow for my head, and two to support my arm. Oh! For a regular night's sleep!

And thank you for your kind words.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM

First of all I want to say, like all of you, yessss do the exercises! I had a little mini-party to celebrate when I could finally reach behind me to fasten/unfasten my bra without pain. But I have recovered full range of motion and it was well worth all the effort. They told me I probably would never be able to reach behind me like that again, so that became my goal. LOL... just tell me I can't.. But don't push too far too soon, or you will be back in the operating room like my DH, who just knew better than the docs what he was ready to do. If you get my drift... lol. He is fine now, after the second repair.

Second, I want to say how much I love your quilt tops. The second one really appeals to me, and I wonder if you would mind telling the size you cut the rectangles? I'm just guessing at 2.5x5.5" with 1.5" strip of green in between to equal a 5x5" finished square. My second guess would be adding 1" to each to equal a 6x6" finished square. Am I close?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Hmmm I can only find 1 and 2... will have to go to your posts and see if I can find the others.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 PM

I damaged my rotator cuff in an encounter with a bear while walking two dogs. It's been a long process rehabbing because I choose not to have surgery, but I'm almost there.

I like both of your quilts, but especially the brights with HSTs.