Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The Plan B '23 Handbag >

The Plan B '23 Handbag

The Plan B '23 Handbag

Old 09-27-2023, 08:27 AM

Default The Plan B '23 Handbag

Or 'Did you get that fabric from your Mom's old couch?' purse. lol My original intent was to make a handbag of canvas and leather-look vinyl that I might want to use for more than two seasons, so got all of the materials, watched YouTubes on sewing with vinyl and thought I was ready. I'm not sure I'll ever be ready to sew with vinyl, at least not the one I purchased.

So Plan B, just the canvas (or what passes for it at JoAnn's these days, and this print was the least objectionable of those in stock). It frays so terribly and even with the walking foot is not all that easy to sew. I used a medium-weight interfacing on it and quilted the lining and interior flap. It has a nice look to it but I think I may go back to quilting the exterior in the Spring purse. Thanks for looking (and not laughing).

Attached Thumbnails fall2023handbag.jpg  
Old 09-27-2023, 08:55 AM

You did a beautiful job! It looks real nice. Certainly nothing I would ever laugh at!
Vintage upholstery and drapery fabrics for bags are actually trending right now too.

I just bought some cute vinyl to try sewing a bag with also. This one is clear, with mushrooms all over. They sure have some cute choices of vinyl available now.
I've not worked with it yet either, so I have watched YT videos too
they say using tissue paper on the machine bed will help keep it from sticking....
please let us know how it goes....

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-27-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:06 AM

Kuddo's to you for trying! I've never even attempted to make a purse, so no laughter out of me. I did run into a lady in JoAnns many months ago that makes back packs for underpriveledge children and she used vinyl on part of them. Ended up giving her a bunch a childrens fabric to use for a donation to the cause. She also makes purses for adult ladies. She did say that she used an industrial machine like the one Donna Jordan uses.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:13 AM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

I have not sewn with vinyl but my machine came with a Teflon foot that is supposed to slide over it. Maybe you should see if they sell one for your machine?
Old 09-27-2023, 09:13 AM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

Forgot to add; I really like that bag, no laughing.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Yiaya View Post
I have not sewn with vinyl but my machine came with a Teflon foot that is supposed to slide over it. Maybe you should see if they sell one for your machine?
I sure wish my machine had come with one. They do sell them.....$70 each. ouch!
I'm using some YT tricks...tape on the bottom of the foot instead of a teflon foot, and using the paper from the vinyl packaging on the bed of my machine.
Both are working well so far.....
can't wait to see what geevee comes up with next...
Old 09-27-2023, 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone!

Oh goodness, 70.00 for a teflon foot? Yow. I did see that using matte tape on the bottom of a regular foot is supposed to work, is that what you're using, 1CharmShort? I bought stiff sew-in interfacing so the bag wouldn't be floppy nor have the ripply effect iron-on can sometimes give (and fear of warping the vinyl trying to iron it on), but with the difficulty in just trying to get a seam to lay flat with the vinyl and fabric sewn together, having the interfacing in seems like it will never lay down properly.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:05 AM

No laughing here either. You did a great job and I like the vintage upholstery fabric! I've either used tissue paper or a teflon foot when I made a sheer shower curtain insert years ago.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by geevee View Post
Thanks everyone!

Oh goodness, 70.00 for a teflon foot? Yow. I did see that using matte tape on the bottom of a regular foot is supposed to work, is that what you're using, 1CharmShort? I bought stiff sew-in interfacing so the bag wouldn't be floppy nor have the ripply effect iron-on can sometimes give (and fear of warping the vinyl trying to iron it on), but with the difficulty in just trying to get a seam to lay flat with the vinyl and fabric sewn together, having the interfacing in seems like it will never lay down properly.
Yes, the seams can get pretty bulky!
Are you top stitching to make it lay flat?
Before I got my industrial Juki, I used my vintage Bernina for almost all my sewing. What a workhorse....but parts are expensive
and, it seems prices may have gone up even more.
The Bernina non stick (teflon) foot is on sale here
https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/008881.75.00.php
but this price is a bit more than at my local shop, I think.
I just don't use her for the heavy work anymore.
oh...
and check this out...this is the one that fits my machine:
https://shop.berninausa.com/accessor...-stick-sole-53

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-27-2023 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
Yes, the seams can get pretty bulky!
Are you top stitching to make it lay flat?
Before I got my industrial Juki, I used my vintage Bernina for almost all my sewing. What a workhorse....but parts are expensive
and, it seems prices may have gone up even more.
The Bernina non stick (teflon) foot is on sale here
https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/008881.75.00.php
but this price is a bit more than at my local shop, I think.
I just don't use her for the heavy work anymore.
oh...
and check this out...this is the one that fits my machine:
https://shop.berninausa.com/accessor...-stick-sole-53
I have a Brother but may look around for a teflon foot for it if I decide to go ahead with the (or another) vinyl.

Looking forward to seeing your cutie mushroom bags when you get some completed, Charm.