Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing with Freemotion

Blog Entries
    This is what happens when I wake up WAY too early! :)

(I'm just learning, but having fun with FMQ)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful quilting!!!! Looks like you're a natural!

Hey they are gorgeous. How long have you been doing FMQ, i have yet to get into it, so scared though. frightened of going wrong. your pics are brilliant. I am quilting placemats at the moment and want to do FMQ on them, will have to havago soon. :)

NICE!

Looks good to me. Imagine what you could do if you had a good night's sleep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyj123
    Hey they are gorgeous. How long have you been doing FMQ, i have yet to get into it, so scared though. frightened of going wrong. your pics are brilliant. I am quilting placemats at the moment and want to do FMQ on them, will have to havago soon. :)
    Just go for it, Penny! I started dabbling with FMQ less than a year ago (and I work full-time and have other hobbies too), so I haven't spent all that much time on it. I started with placemats too! It got a lot easier for me when I took a 3 hour class and figured out that everything did NOT need to be symetrical and perfect to look good.

Blog Entries
    Ha ha, I wake up way to early all the time, but my FMQ don't look like this!! YOU did a wonderful job.. makes me wonder if I should try to sleep in, and see if that helps my attempts look even remotely like FMQ... awesome !

I also work full time and only have the w/ends to play. I direct all my attention to sewing these days, that is mainly quilting, patchwork, and some embroidery. I just love it. and my husband is sew supportive of it. I have stood beside him with all the hobbies he has had and now i have one of my own and he loves that. I just wish i didn't have to work so much as i really just want to play. LOL :)

Blog Entries
    Fabulous! You are doing awesome!

Very, very nice! For just learning, I can only imagine you will have some real prize winning quilts in the future.

That's really great work :)

I am so jealous. I haven't tried FMQ yet but I want to really bad.

Oh my gosh....are you serious...what do you mean when you say you are "new"?? If I could do that well with FMQ, I'd be happy forever!! I haven't even tried yet....me scared :/

Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg
    This is what happens when I wake up WAY too early! :)

(I'm just learning, but having fun with FMQ)
    Are using your regular sewing machine or is it a Long Arm?
    You are so talented!
    I started FMQ but I don't seem to have creativity. I might need to innovate, you have given me courage to try.

I want to be as good a you! Your work is so nice and even. I never think of sewing when I can't sleep. Thanks for the good suggestion. It's time to stop practicing and put this great work on your quilts.

Very nice!!

Very pretty quilting
    I haven't tried doing anything fancy, just want to get it done and go on to piecing the next quilt.

Looking good!

Blog Entries
    This is just amazing. I can't imagine what you will be doing for FMQ when you become an expert. Please share with us if you are using a long arm. My practice pieces look nothing like this on my home sewing machine. Wonder if you could do a tutorial?

Thanks for sharing,
    Quilter711

Great work!

Blog Entries
    WOW! I want to be like you when I grow up :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter711
    This is just amazing. I can't imagine what you will be doing for FMQ when you become an expert. Please share with us if you are using a long arm. My practice pieces look nothing like this on my home sewing machine. Wonder if you could do a tutorial?

Thanks for sharing,
    Quilter711
    Nancy, My first practice pieces did NOT look anything like this either! :lol: (The cat is sleeping on them now...) No longarm; I am quilting on a Juki 98tl and just love it--moving the quilt, not the machine. It's hard to get a big quilt in it, but not impossible if you are determined enough!

I started with an afternoon class about a year ago and have been taking advantage of learning from a few books and videos since then. The first book/DVD I got was from Karen McTavish; she is fun to watch, and her Minnesota accent reminds me of home. Recently I got 2 of Sharon Schamber's beginning feathering DVDs and have learned a lot from her. Her sandwiching and basting technique is "the bomb". I've also watched a lot of quilting on youtube. And read everything I can find on the web. I just love Leah Day's 365 days of quilting on the web as a resource for ideas and new things to try.

It seems that everyone has a slightly different technique that works for them. You have to take the parts that work for you and use them. And, practice, practice, practice! First I draw the designs with paper and pencil several times to get a feel for them; then I try them out on practice samples that are only 16 or 18" square so they are relatively easy to maneuver. Then, when I'm satisfied with what I have, I try it on the real thing. It's definitely "a process" for me. I've done a couple of baby quilts and an twin size so far, as well as some quilted bags for my granddaughters and some placemats for the table.

I've got a couple of twin-sized throws pieced that I'm almost brave enough to start quilting on this fall. The biggest challenge I have right now is figuring out what motifs/designs to use to compliment the patchwork (and that I can actually sew successfully).

There are tons of amazingly talented quilters on this site, and I feel l privileged to benefit from the knowledge and skills they share!

And the best tip from a video? Karen McTavish said to "have a glass of wine!" I'm not sure if my FMQ is better for it, but it sure makes it more fun!!! :lol:

PennyJ,
    There's nothing to be scared of! Who says it has to be perfect? Quilting is supposed to be fun!!

:-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    PennyJ,
    There's nothing to be scared of! Who says it has to be perfect? Quilting is supposed to be fun!!

:-D
    purplefiend is so right! It doesn't have to be perfect, just give it a shot!!! It was hard for me at first to realize that perfection was NOT the goal, but when I got over that, it got to be fun!

Blog Entries
    Wendy,

I am taking your advise. I will purchase some of the DVD's, play and drink. I know it will work out well!

Thanks again,
    Quilter711

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast