Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please help me decide

Hi everyone I really need your help!!! Iím new to quilting and I need some suggestions. Hereís some background info for you: My avatar was my very first quilt (it was for my son) I made another small quilt just like it for a relative. Thatís about all the quilting experience I have lol.

I am working on a new quilt and I originally intended on doing a disappearing 9 patch but when I laid all my patches out to see how big the quilt would be I kind of liked the 9 patches without making them disappear lol. Now I donít know what to do!! Should I do the DNP because thatís what I originally wanted to try or should I just leave the patches alone? I already cut 2 of the patches to get a feel for how it would look and I do like it but Iím still unsure. Help Ladies!! What do you think would look better? Should I leave them alone (Iíll probably rearrange the colors) or should I cut them and do the DNP??

Thanks,
    Jamie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    You could make a narrow sashing around each nine patch and they would pop right out.

I think you should leave them.

It's beautiful the way it is. I think it would also look cool as a DNP. Sorry, I'm no help.

Is it weird that I feel like I'm quitting if I don't do the DNP? Lol. I almost feel like I'm skipping out on all the hard work of cutting and sewing them all back together.
    ~ Jamie

Blog Entries
    That's the fun of quilting. You get to decide the design and colors. I often change my mind during the process. If it were mine I would put a thin sashing (border) around each square. Your choices are so striking. Go for it!

Blog Entries
    I love it. I think the idea of narrow sashing is great.

#1 RULE.... it's your quilt, you can do anything you want to it

it is okay to change your mind, most of us do it daily!
    you can always make one dissapper another time.
    don't worry, be happy!

I like them the way they are. You could also mix and match. Some of both.

What color do you think I should do for the sashing?? I think my problem is that there are too many choices. It hurts my head to think about all of them lol.

I do think that I'm going to leave the patches the way they are (maybe add some sashing and I'll just make a DNP pillow :-)
    ~ Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by sock_17
    Is it weird that I feel like I'm quitting if I don't do the DNP? Lol. I almost feel like I'm skipping out on all the hard work of cutting and sewing them all back together.
    ~ Jamie
    So - leave these alone and NEXT TIME do a DNP!!! Plenty more quilts to make!!!

That is part of the quilting process!!!

looks great as is.many quilts are starting thinking one thing and change along the way-just part of the creative process

It looks great as it is. I also think it would make a wonderful D9P all those brights would just pop. I think you would get more wow with the D9P.

You can always make enough for 2 and do both. =)
    I like it the way you have it laid out..but can also see where it would really be awesome as a D9P. =)

Blog Entries
    I love the 9 patches you have in your picture. I would go ahead and finish this one as a 9 patch and then make another one the same way and make it into a disappearing 9 patch.
    Good job!

~ Jamie
    Sometimes it's better to continue on your original path. I love the blocks the way you have them, but if you will always feel that it is not what you intended, then get to cutting.

I was thinking a thing sashing would make the squares stand out more, too.

Think of it not as "I can't make up my mind," but as "I have ideas for more quilts!"

I saw an amazing DNP on here with black white and red in the center (sorry but I canít remember whose quilt it was). It's what inspired my colors. You ladies are so talented!! I ordered the pattern for the bow tuck tote yesterday and that will be my next project after this quilt if finished. Iím sure itíll take me a while to finish this quilt because I only get to work on it for a little while at night after work. Iíll make sure I post a pic when itís done. Thanks for all of the suggestions!
    ~ Jamie

I think that the good thing about d9p is the fact there are no seams to match. D9p was one of my firsts, too. Be sure to post what you end up doing with these patches I think they are stunning.
    Sandy

Looks nice as is, but remember if you make Disappearing 9 patch you will lose even more to seam allowances. It will "Shrink" So maybe size you want will help determine what to do

Thanks Lilrain. I never thought about the extra seam allowances. It doesn't really sway me one way or the other but it definitely is something I would've over looked!

I think that Iím going to check and see how much fabric I have. If I have enough, Iím going to make a DNP pillow so that I can see what my quilt would look like if I did the DNP. I think that will help me determine which way I like it best. Itís just mind boggling to think of all the different things I could do lol. I know I shouldnít stress about it because itís just a quilt for my house but I want it to be awesome lol.
    ~ Jamie

I like it just the way it is. Wouldn't change a thing.

Blog Entries
    I saw an amazing DNP on here with black white and red in the center (sorry but I canít remember whose quilt it was). It's what inspired my colors. You ladies are so talented!! I ordered the pattern for the bow tuck tote yesterday and that will be my next project after this quilt if finished. Iím sure itíll take me a while to finish this quilt because I only get to work on it for a little while at night after work. Iíll make sure I post a pic when itís done. Thanks for all of the suggestions!
    ~ Jamie
    I made a dp9 and then sashed them. don't know if this is what you was talking about or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That wasn't the one I was talking about but I think I like your's better!! It's so pretty!!! The one I saw before didn't have any sashing.
    ~ Jamie

It looks great as is...do another quilt using the disappearing 9-patch later when the mood strikes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast