Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Practice Blocks

  1. #1
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    I did these two blocks today trying to get better at cutting. The Basketweave block seemed simpler in the picture but I had the most problems with it.

    I am considering Mr. Roosevelt's Neck Tie for the fall colors block swap. Is is too simplistic?

    By the way, the fabric I'm using came from a box of stuff that was cleaned out of my great Grandma's house when she died 20 years ago. When I unfolded it to cut my pieces, I notice written on the back corners of each piece "WASHED AND READY TO GO JUNE '63". Yikes!

  2. #2
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good grief! I forgot to attache the pictures!!! :oops:

    Attached Images Attached Images


  3. #3
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    16,334
    Blog Entries
    2
    make a "wonky" quilt on purpose! great fabric!

  4. #4
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think that both blocks in that fabric would make awesome baby quilts!!! And the second block would be wonderful in your block swap :D :D :D

  5. #5
    Milly's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    44
    Nice colors. I am using fabrics from my grandmothers stash from about the same time frame.

    When you cut your fabrics are you using sissors or a rotary cutter and ruler?

    If you have her fabrics, maybe you should wash again on a gentle cycle just to make sure they will wash and not end up in shreds due to age. Wouldn't want to go to all the work of a quilt only to find that the fabric has pasted its prime.

  6. #6
    Power Poster SulaBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in SANTA Land.
    Posts
    10,136
    Blog Entries
    1
    I really like both of your blocks!!
    They are great & will make you a
    lovely quilt. Thank you for sharing
    with all of us!!
    :D :D :D :D

  7. #7
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Milly's Mom
    Nice colors. I am using fabrics from my grandmothers stash from about the same time frame.

    When you cut your fabrics are you using sissors or a rotary cutter and ruler?

    If you have her fabrics, maybe you should wash again on a gentle cycle just to make sure they will wash and not end up in shreds due to age. Wouldn't want to go to all the work of a quilt only to find that the fabric has pasted its prime.
    I'm attempting to use a rotary cutter. It's a new experience for me and I seem to turn right when I want to go straight! :shock:

    I didn't bother to wash the fabric again because I really had no intention of the practice blocks becoming anything. I'm just trying to see if I can make a block for the fall block swap without humiliating myself.

  8. #8
    Milly's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    44
    Well, if you are learning to use the rotary cutter, just go slow and keep your blade next to the ruler. You might try cutting pieces of fabric that are no longer than the ruler as opposed to cutting a 44" or 36" piece, that way you will feel more control.

    If you find that you go off to the side, just line up the ruler with the part of the good edge you cut and straighten out your cut on the part that went off. You'll get the hang of it.

  9. #9
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    I love your blocks. That quilt will hold many memories. That is so cool to make it out of her fabric.

  10. #10
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    That is so cool that you can make the blocks for a quilt with your Grandmother's fabric. Very special.

    And I don't think the second one is too simplistic at all! As a matter of fact, someone did it in the black and white swap and I got one! BTW, I think you're doing a great job for just being practice.

  11. #11
    Super Member SharonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    1,551
    Cute blocks. Be kind to yourself, you're doing good.
    I would recommend two things: (1) Starch the heck out of the material before cutting as it'll give it more body and (2) Make sure you have a couple of fingers off the ruler to give you traction and keep your ruler in place.
    Again---way to go!! :) :)

  12. #12
    Super Member Susy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    1,036
    Looks great, my "beginner" blocks didn't look half that good and the rotary cutting does get easier after a lot of practice.

  13. #13
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    Cute blocks. Be kind to yourself, you're doing good.
    I would recommend two things: (1) Starch the heck out of the material before cutting as it'll give it more body and (2) Make sure you have a couple of fingers off the ruler to give you traction and keep your ruler in place.
    Again---way to go!! :) :)
    I probably shouldn't say this on a quilting board, but I have NEVER starched anything other than the soles of basketball shoes. I do own a can of spray starch. Maybe tomorrow I'll practice starching.

  14. #14
    quiltluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lost in a quilt shop :-)
    Posts
    1,353
    The more you do the more you'll find what works for you and what doesn't. The important thing is not "how" you do it just that you keep on going. You'll be a pro before you know it.

    That fabric is so sweet. Glad you dug it out to play with.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    i think they both look great. i sure love that fabric.. very pretty :D

  16. #16
    Super Member Yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County, California
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I did these two blocks today trying to get better at cutting. The Basketweave block seemed simpler in the picture but I had the most problems with it.

    I am considering Mr. Roosevelt's Neck Tie for the fall colors block swap. Is is too simplistic?

    By the way, the fabric I'm using came from a box of stuff that was cleaned out of my great Grandma's house when she died 20 years ago. When I unfolded it to cut my pieces, I notice written on the back corners of each piece "WASHED AND READY TO GO JUNE '63". Yikes!
    Lisa, That basketweave block is one I have learned to avoid! How can a simple block like that turn out to be the hardest to stitch up? I had a horrible time with it also.
    I love the fabric from your Grandma's stash. I think you need to make a whole quilt with it. It'd sure be neat keep-sake.
    I agree that you probably should try some spray starch or sizing on the fabric.
    Meanwhile, have fun!

  17. #17
    Super Member mimee4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    3,735
    There are no quilt blocks that are too simplistic. All are beautiful so make what you like, as often as you like. Enjoy. :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.