Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Practicing

Blog Entries
    you did a great job
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Coming along great.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I've gotten a few requests & pm's for pictures. Here are a couple. I held the regular hopping foot to the ruler foot (which is on the machine), so you could see the difference. I use a Juki TL 98 Q on a Little Gracie II frame. I bought the ruler foot off Ebay for $75 with free shipping. I chose this one for the open toe feature. There is a closed toe ruler foot at www.finishingtouchesquiltingstudio.com for $70, but I don't know about the shipping cost. You cannot use a regular quilting ruler with this. It has to be a ruler that is 1/4" thick...about the thickness of two regular quilting rulers together. The ruler foot instructions says it should only be used with a machine on a frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks really good!!!!!!!!!!!

Bind it and hang it in your sewing room/space. You are doing a fantastic job. In six months make another to replace your first practice piece. I'm sure you will be proud of your new skills and accomplishments.

I think it looks wonderful

Blog Entries
    Looks like you are doing great, practice, practice and more practice!!!!!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Looks like you are learning quickly

I think your practice looks amazing. I've learned to look at each quilting project as part of the journey. My earlier quilting attempts aren't great, but they are part of my quilting story, and I love them just the same.

Blog Entries
    Looks great to me too, you're braver than I am. I'm in the middle of a small baby quilt that I will quilt myself and I'm already having anxiety attacks! Stitch in the ditch I can do, but I want to add something special to the quilt.

Looking good.

Power Poster
    Looks fantastic. Great job.

Good student, excellent class and now you should feel ready to start on a quilt. You did really good, and I kind of like the tiles

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
    I need this .... my SID accurately is impossible! Thanks for sharing.
    I've given up on SID and instead just stitch 1/4" from the ditch using the ditch as a guide. I am much happier.

Wow! Very nice!

A great job! I'll put the class on my list of 'to dos'. I'm a self-taught, and not too good.

Please tell me what a ruler foot is. I have never heard of it. I like the work you have done on your quilt, hope I can get that good someday. Thank you for sharing.

I think you are doing great, Debbie! Your designs will look great on a quilt.

I wanted to learn to quilt feathers, so I started out just drawing them over and over and over. Then I put on a practice piece and quilted them. They were getting better, but I still wasn't totally happy with them. One day I decided that the only way I was really going to get good at quilting feathers was to start putting them on quilts. The first quilt was an easy pattern I made just to practice my feathers and I use it as a lap quilt on my couch. I don't mind that the quilting isn't that great, I still love it. I have now quilted several quilts with feathers and am (generally) very happy with the results. I guess what I am saying is, don't be afraid to quilt your designs on actual quilts. Matching thread really does hide a multitude of mistakes and you'll see a HUGE improvement after each quilt you complete.
    Laurlyn
    Innova 26" w/LS

Quote Originally Posted by watson's mom View Post
    Please tell me what a ruler foot is. I have never heard of it. I like the work you have done on your quilt, hope I can get that good someday. Thank you for sharing.
    A ruler foot is a foot that's thicker at the bottom, so you can hold a special quilting ruler next to it. There are different types of rulers...straight edge, scallops, shapes, ect. I took a couple of pictures of the foot & they should be on page 2 or 3 of this thread. My ruler foot says it is to only be used with a machine on a frame.

Quote Originally Posted by laurlync View Post
    I think you are doing great, Debbie! Your designs will look great on a quilt.

I wanted to learn to quilt feathers, so I started out just drawing them over and over and over. Then I put on a practice piece and quilted them. They were getting better, but I still wasn't totally happy with them. One day I decided that the only way I was really going to get good at quilting feathers was to start putting them on quilts. The first quilt was an easy pattern I made just to practice my feathers and I use it as a lap quilt on my couch. I don't mind that the quilting isn't that great, I still love it. I have now quilted several quilts with feathers and am (generally) very happy with the results. I guess what I am saying is, don't be afraid to quilt your designs on actual quilts. Matching thread really does hide a multitude of mistakes and you'll see a HUGE improvement after each quilt you complete.
    Thank you for the encouraging words. I put the top that I made for the class on my frame today. I tried to pebble & it's looking like a hot mess! But, I keep telling myself that this is to learn something new. I, too, draw & draw for practice. I'm actually pretty good drawing the quilting, but the quilting is a different story...lol. I can draw feathers, but they remind me of the Loch Ness monster when I quilt them. But, I'm not giving up!

Excellent work! Go forth and quilt those tiles!!

Great tiles!! You are doing a wonderful job!

Looks to me that the practicing has paid off - looks great! You're ready!
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

BCM
    Looks great. Go for it!!

Blog Entries
    I think you did a great job. I need to do some practicing myself.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast