Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   10 Minute Block with HST's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/10-minute-block-hsts-t80026.html)

Sewsweet 12-02-2010 04:19 AM

Nice

pjustice63 12-02-2010 04:44 AM

My kind of quilt.
How creative you are.
The results are amazing when we put our heads together.

Jo M 12-02-2010 04:51 AM

Why didn't I think of that?? Glad YOU did, now I can bookmark it. Thanks.

Fabaddict 12-02-2010 06:30 AM

well, now, I like those better!!!! Great work!!!!!!!!!

CajunQuilter2 12-02-2010 07:42 AM

Love it. I ordered the book and it came in earlier this week. Have not had a chance to sit down and really look at it in detail yet but can't wait to get started on one.

butterflywing 12-02-2010 11:06 AM

the original 10-minute block looks like it has small triangles sewn into the corners of the larger blocks.

it's a cute idea, but i'm not sure i understand the lure. the end result looks like a string or tube block, so why not do a string or tube block?

if the attraction is the 3-dimensionality, i think of that as a dust-and-lint-catcher. as a potholder or hot-pad, they catch even more. do you also have to press it down each time it's washed to get it to lie flat again? or do you leave the dust in there?

imo, it would be good only for a wallhanging that could be dryer-dusted and fluffed often. i would never give it to anyone with any allergies.

for all the people who have made these, how have you used them? i'm curious.

AnitaSt 12-04-2010 10:05 AM

Glad you like the way these came out. I just used the HST's instead of a solid block for the four corners. The Missouri Quilt tutorial is good but I also have the book (from Connecting Threads).

The only trick is to get the HST's turned the way you want them to be in the finished block. I accidentally did it right the first time then pin-basted the others to be sure they ended up where I wanted them to be. Kinda blows the 10-minute block thing but I just happened to have the leftover HST's.

On the three-dimensional effect, I wouldn't want to leave that center piece unstitched. I sewed these down with a blanket stitch after I took those pictures. Seemed to add a little more dimension too.

These will probably become part of a small wall hanging for my sewing room.

franie 12-04-2010 10:06 AM

Fun! What a good idea.

AnitaSt 12-04-2010 11:02 AM

I forgot to add that in the 10-minute block book that I have there is a pattern that used pieced squares for the four corner sections of the block...strip pieced from a jelly roll. The corner sections were arranged so that the strips are perpendicular to the adjoining section. Gives a lot more movement to the block. Thank I'll try that one next...

The book is not expensive and has great instructions and variations and 7 patterns.

pojo 12-04-2010 11:03 AM

Hi, what is the name of the book for these blocks.