Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   35yo UFO Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/35yo-ufo-quilt-t305267.html)

Lynnie25 06-16-2019 06:55 PM

35yo UFO Quilt

4 Attachment(s)
I am sure we have all had that 'What was I thinking' quilt. This is mine - found tucked away in the back of a cupboard, probably for at least 35 years. It is hand pieced and partially hand quilted. Poly cotton backing and that thick awful batting that was used so many years ago. My first thought was toss it in the garbage, but we are going into a cold winter here so I will finish it and pass it onto a person who can benefit from the warmth it will give. But oh my, look at that crooked border which I hope I can sort of machine quilt into submission. I am happy to say I have improved in all techniques and aspects of quilting since then.

Have you had one of these such quilts that you weren't too proud of?

dallen4350 06-16-2019 07:28 PM

It will keep someone warm and they will love it. I like the colors.

quiltingcandy 06-16-2019 08:05 PM

Bravo to you for bringing it out in the light of day! It will be wonderful for someone that needs the warmth if you end up not liking it once it is completed. The borders can be fixed, maybe a few well placed darts would help.

I have sent away most of my unfinished projects. I do have a couple more that I think I will get to some day. I really like to make baby/children's quilts but all the babies in the family are growing up so I have gotten rid of a majority of my kids fabrics.

oksewglad 06-16-2019 08:18 PM

Quilts like these just show one how far one has come in the craft of quilting. It is a pretty quilt.

Tartan 06-16-2019 08:37 PM

I have a double knit quilt that I made when I first started quilting. It is an eyesore but the kids loved it on their bed every year at the cottage. It will look warm and cozy quilted up.

JustAbitCrazy 06-17-2019 01:28 AM

It's a very pretty quilt. I think part of the problem with the wavy border may be that some parts are heavily quilted alongside it and others aren't. So I think that will all improve as you finish quilting it.

QuiltnNan 06-17-2019 02:56 AM

looks good

SusieQOH 06-17-2019 05:07 AM

I recognize the light blue print. I used to have it! And it was a long time ago :)
There is another thread right now about quilts we think are ugly. I commented on one I did that I don't like at all. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. Probably donate it. It will keep someone warm.
Yours is really pretty!

KalamaQuilts 06-17-2019 05:39 AM

I am happy to say I have improved in all techniques and aspects of quilting since then.

Have you had one of these such quilts that you weren't too proud of?
Only in retrospect, I was very proud of them at the time of making. One of the great pleasures of quilting for me is learning from my mistakes and growing my skills. Buying a make it big and cut it down ruler isn't part of that path :)

And it is a very pretty quilt and will indeed keep someone warm. I always enjoy what you share here!

Ellen 1 06-17-2019 07:04 AM

Looks like you were making “modern quilts” before there was a “modern” quilt! I like the background area that does not have the block in it. :-). Great idea to finish it and because you are passing it on, you could finish the quilting by machine.