Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   4th of July Quilting...what are you working on today? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/4th-july-quilting-what-you-working-today-t193580.html)

DebraK 07-04-2012 12:35 PM

now, there is a project I would drop everything else for ;-)

almond 07-04-2012 01:04 PM

I finished quilting a quilt and started and finished a lap quilt.

Blinkokr 07-04-2012 01:28 PM

Love the quilt, great job and thank you for sharing
Have a Blessed day
Ellen

madamekelly 07-04-2012 02:01 PM

I am spending a quiet 4th just doodling ideas to finish my latest quilt.

2 Attachment(s)
I started this quilt over a year ago using salt dyed batiks and one loud print that has all of the other colors in it. The name of the quilt will be "Celebrate your happiness!" When I finished the Dresden plate, it was a giant volcano. I had heard of the volcano problem, but never ran into it on my smaller plates. I am now a qualified expert at 'frog sewing'. Did I mention that the Dresden Plate is 48" across? DH was out of town two days last week, so I spent the time un-sewing and resewing the whole thing. It is now flat. ( I will now draw all stitching lines, that are more than a few inches long.)

The second picture is the background fabrics that it will be appliqued to. That is what I am currently doodling, how to use them for greatest effect.

This quilt is going to hang in the lobby of my friend's business in Portland, OR. I feel so honored, nervous, and excited about being asked. Thank the Lord above that he didn't give me a time limit. If any of you have any ideas for the background set up, please feel free to post them. If I use your suggestion, I will gladly give you design credit on the label. My original idea was the light fabric, framed with a narrow green border, followed by a wider dark border. That just seemed too tame for his space. Ideas?

Neesie 07-04-2012 03:34 PM

I've been washing fabrics and have a pair of shorts on the cutting table, for DGD. Went to WalMart and Hobby Lobby, looking for a specific type of pattern fabric. Couldn't find it at either place, so came home with a ladder (DH took my last one outside and got it all nasty, so I bought a new one for the house) and some "consolation" fabric.

I hate it when I get a certain type of fabric in my head, then can't find it! :-(

mighty 07-04-2012 05:10 PM

Beautiful work!!!

LTeachergeorge 07-04-2012 05:55 PM

I'm spending the day TRYING to finish up a couple UFO's. One is a basket tablerunner made from Deb Strain's Fresh Flowers (from a couple years back -- brightly colored zinnias). It's on my design wall (my living room floor) waitng for a decision on a final border. The other is a sudoku quilt for my DGS that has been quilted. When I trimmed the extra fabric after sewing on the binding, I trimmed too close and need to take out a section of binding and replace it. Just hate when I do stupid things like that!! Kids and grandkids came by for a swim before the fireworks start. Always a pleasant surprise! Hope all of you enjoyed the day as much as I have!!

Linda

Kris P 07-04-2012 06:46 PM

I finished the blocks for Spaghetti Junction by Anka's Treasures. Then headed next door with the kids for a 'quick swim' and stayed 4 hours, even though it was 100 degrees in MN today.

jkwynn 07-04-2012 06:57 PM

I did get them all ironed! Woot! And in time for fireworks, too. :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7...e9fcd064c8.jpg

SheriR 07-04-2012 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 5338985)
I started this quilt over a year ago using salt dyed batiks and one loud print that has all of the other colors in it. The name of the quilt will be "Celebrate your happiness!" When I finished the Dresden plate, it was a giant volcano. I had heard of the volcano problem, but never ran into it on my smaller plates. I am now a qualified expert at 'frog sewing'. Did I mention that the Dresden Plate is 48" across? DH was out of town two days last week, so I spent the time un-sewing and resewing the whole thing. It is now flat. ( I will now draw all stitching lines, that are more than a few inches long.)

The second picture is the background fabrics that it will be appliqued to. That is what I am currently doodling, how to use them for greatest effect.

This quilt is going to hang in the lobby of my friend's business in Portland, OR. I feel so honored, nervous, and excited about being asked. Thank the Lord above that he didn't give me a time limit. If any of you have any ideas for the background set up, please feel free to post them. If I use your suggestion, I will gladly give you design credit on the label. My original idea was the light fabric, framed with a narrow green border, followed by a wider dark border. That just seemed too tame for his space. Ideas?

I love Dresden plates and sure would like the measurements to yours! What about some of your gold/orange in the background? Whatever you pick I think it will be amazing!