Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Advice on fabric 4 these vintage sunbonnet sues? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/advice-fabric-4-these-vintage-sunbonnet-sues-t118941.html)

craftoholic 04-26-2011 08:32 AM

wow.... talk about a multigenarational wuilt.. love all the added animals/flowers,etc in with the SBS!!!

skitter 04-26-2011 08:32 AM

the sues are beautiful, sorry I can't help with the choosing of fabric, this is not my strong suit, just a beginner myself.

nativetexan 04-26-2011 08:33 AM

you seem to have 13 blocks. i'd put them on point. that way you can use them all. then do the small squares around them maybe.
lovely SBS's.

Jammin' Jane 04-26-2011 08:34 AM

Whatever you choose will be cute. Please show us when you are done.

Dragonfly Nana 04-26-2011 08:38 AM

I love lmc8's suggestion of the gray/black as part of the irish chain.

crafty_linda_b 04-26-2011 08:49 AM

What a special gift to receive. I love SBS. She is my all time favorite. I think you are going to have to ad a border around them. Looking closely at the squares alot of them don't seem to have much seam allowance. You will have to be careful when joining them. I think a scrappy border would be cute made out of your small squares. Some of the blocks remind me of old nursery rhymes. The basket one looks like A tisket a tasket a green & yellow basket. Then one looks like Mary had a little lamb. They are sure sweet blocks.
Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b

Foxflower 04-26-2011 09:02 AM

They don't have much seam allowance because of how I had to square them up. On 1 or 2 I'll have to barely sew through the embroidery or feet. Unfortunate, but necessary. They are now 10.5" and perfect for adding the 2.5" pieces used on the focus blocks of the irish chain pattern. IF I had more vintage pieces I would encircle the blocks with those like someone suggested, but I only have 175...only enough to do the center chain scrappy style.

sewcrafty 04-26-2011 09:05 AM

Before I read anything, I thought about the Irish Chain also. I don't know, but I think I may be tempted to use your squares in this and make it a scrappy.

GrannieAnnie 04-26-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Foxflower
I inherited these vintage sues from my husband's grandmother. She didn't finish them. I just finished the embroidery last night (unless I had something to 3 more hats). The fabrics are as old as they appear to be. I have 175 2.5 inch squares of vintage fabric (not repros). I have been planning to do a triple irish chain with these with the vintage fabric pieces as the center chain. But I can't decide what fabric or colors to use as the other two chains. The block background fabric is unbleached muslin. There are so many colors on these blocks---help!

Darling litte Sues!

mltquilt 04-26-2011 09:15 AM

You might check online for 30s reproductions and find something similar to one of the fabrics you already have.

mltquilt