Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on fabric 4 these vintage sunbonnet sues?

I inherited these vintage sues from my husband's grandmother. She didn't finish them. I just finished the embroidery last night (unless I had something to 3 more hats). The fabrics are as old as they appear to be. I have 175 2.5 inch squares of vintage fabric (not repros). I have been planning to do a triple irish chain with these with the vintage fabric pieces as the center chain. But I can't decide what fabric or colors to use as the other two chains. The block background fabric is unbleached muslin. There are so many colors on these blocks---help!

Group of 12
    Name:  Attachment-189345.jpe
Views: 41
Size:  63.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm so new I can't help you, but I can tell you they are beautiful!

Blog Entries
    How lovely, and what a treasure.

I've seen some quilts with blocks outlined with the strongest color in them, then all sewed together with like far from like. In other words, no two colors together.

And I've also seen some lovely ones with a single color banding all of the blocks, with 2 or 3 contrasting colors all around the quilt itself.

I know you will make these family treasures into something that your family will keep for many years down the line. Take pictures and let us see what you do with them.

More pics...

Last of the pics...

The vintage squares...
    Name:  Attachment-189366.jpe
Views: 57
Size:  81.4 KB

I love the idea of combining your aquired Sun Bonnet Sue blocks within an Irish Chain design. If this were my project I'd choose black and gray as the other two irish chain colors to showcase and not detract from the multitude of colors in your treasured vintage fabrics which will be the WOW factor in your quilt. I think black/gray would also work to make the embroderiery pop.

Okay, one more pic of 12, removing the one that blends the least (will make a pillow with it.) Would it be crazy to use white as one of the chain colors? I thought I wanted to use reproduction prints, along with the vintage ones, but can't figure out what color or color mix....maybe orange?

So solids black and gray? Makes sense. Would you use the vintage squares also?

Very Cute!! :) I really like these. :thumbup:

jme
    I had this same problem (vintage sue and all) a few months ago. I ended up choosing a purple with yellow flowers that had a vintage feel to it. I do a lot of scrap quilting and finding one color to tie it all together can be a chore. I think you might look at a light blue or yellow. Can't wait to see the finished project! Good luck! :)

wow.... talk about a multigenarational wuilt.. love all the added animals/flowers,etc in with the SBS!!!

Blog Entries
    the sues are beautiful, sorry I can't help with the choosing of fabric, this is not my strong suit, just a beginner myself.

Blog Entries
    you seem to have 13 blocks. i'd put them on point. that way you can use them all. then do the small squares around them maybe.
    lovely SBS's.

Power Poster
    Whatever you choose will be cute. Please show us when you are done.

I love lmc8's suggestion of the gray/black as part of the irish chain.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    What a special gift to receive. I love SBS. She is my all time favorite. I think you are going to have to ad a border around them. Looking closely at the squares alot of them don't seem to have much seam allowance. You will have to be careful when joining them. I think a scrappy border would be cute made out of your small squares. Some of the blocks remind me of old nursery rhymes. The basket one looks like A tisket a tasket a green & yellow basket. Then one looks like Mary had a little lamb. They are sure sweet blocks.
    Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b

They don't have much seam allowance because of how I had to square them up. On 1 or 2 I'll have to barely sew through the embroidery or feet. Unfortunate, but necessary. They are now 10.5" and perfect for adding the 2.5" pieces used on the focus blocks of the irish chain pattern. IF I had more vintage pieces I would encircle the blocks with those like someone suggested, but I only have 175...only enough to do the center chain scrappy style.

Before I read anything, I thought about the Irish Chain also. I don't know, but I think I may be tempted to use your squares in this and make it a scrappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxflower
    I inherited these vintage sues from my husband's grandmother. She didn't finish them. I just finished the embroidery last night (unless I had something to 3 more hats). The fabrics are as old as they appear to be. I have 175 2.5 inch squares of vintage fabric (not repros). I have been planning to do a triple irish chain with these with the vintage fabric pieces as the center chain. But I can't decide what fabric or colors to use as the other two chains. The block background fabric is unbleached muslin. There are so many colors on these blocks---help!

Darling litte Sues!

You might check online for 30s reproductions and find something similar to one of the fabrics you already have.

mltquilt

Okay, on a black background to see if we like it....

Quote Originally Posted by mltquilt
    You might check online for 30s reproductions and find something similar to one of the fabrics you already have.

mltquilt
    I have checked....but just couldn't decide what to do because of all the colors in the sues. I love some of the fabric I found, but it was also $9.50/yd! --- Do any of you know of a great reproduction print jelly roll? That would be perfect.

You are so lucky to have inherited these. they are lovely. I wish i could inherit some of these.

You are so lucky to have inherited these. they are lovely. I wish i could inherit some of these.

The sunbonnet sues are so adorable. What a good job you did embelishing them. I am having the same problem deciding on colors to go with an older design and older fabric. Just don't take away the beauty of the sues with an overwhelming color in the irish chain. Guess I am not a very good help. What a treasure you have!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast