Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart - Block #20 Photo Page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/affairs-heart-block-20-photo-page-t111313.html)

candi 08-14-2011 02:41 PM

Kathy, that one is gorgeous!

candi 08-14-2011 02:44 PM

Ok, question. For those of you who are turning the seams under, how are you handling the tiny points? I do OK with points on leaves and wider shapes, but like the scrolls, that end point is almost impossible to hide, I end up doing a lot of gluing and pushing and more gluing and some trimming, but not totally satisfied with the end results on those. Any tips?

sandpat 08-14-2011 03:56 PM

Well Candi....on the ones that aren't hidden under something else, I just do the best I can. Trim away as much of the underneath turn under that you can, then tuck, take a tiny stitch, tuck...poke with toothpick, take a tiny stitch, tuck...stick out your tongue, poke with toothpick, say an ugly word or two, take a tiny stitch....then move on. Mine aren't perfect, but if you look in the book- Aie's aren't either. I figure the more I do, the better I'll get, so my blocks will tell a story of my improvement. I do my best and then move on... :)

luvmortherest 08-14-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well Candi....on the ones that aren't hidden under something else, I just do the best I can. Trim away as much of the underneath turn under that you can, then tuck, take a tiny stitch, tuck...poke with toothpick, take a tiny stitch, tuck...stick out your tongue, poke with toothpick, say an ugly word or two, take a tiny stitch....then move on. Mine aren't perfect, but if you look in the book- Aie's aren't either. I figure the more I do, the better I'll get, so my blocks will tell a story of my improvement. I do my best and then move on... :)

ROTFL

candi 08-14-2011 04:37 PM

LOL, Pat, sounds similar to what I do, I guess it is the "in" technique, lol, only I am doing all of that even before I get to my background fabric since I pre- turn under, LOl, so I get to tuck and poke (I even use the small screw driver that comes with my machine,lol) both at the ironing board and the sewing machine, twice the fun for me :mrgreen:

pab58 08-14-2011 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by candi
Ok, question. For those of you who are turning the seams under, how are you handling the tiny points? I do OK with points on leaves and wider shapes, but like the scrolls, that end point is almost impossible to hide, I end up doing a lot of gluing and pushing and more gluing and some trimming, but not totally satisfied with the end results on those. Any tips?

I beat them down with a hammer!!!!! :shock: :shock: If that doesn't work, I start saying things that would make my mama want to wash my mouth out with soap!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:

Actually, we have all been complaining and fussing over those itty bitty narrow points. :cry: :cry: I can get some of them to come out reasonably well, and then I will have some that just won't no matter what I do. I'm making the 7" blocks so I don't know if those who are making the larger blocks are struggling as much as us 7"ers.

sandpat 08-15-2011 05:02 AM

Patty, you will find this really weird...I made the 7" blocks for the center and then I enlarged the blocks for the outer border, so I'm working on 10" blocks now. When I first started the larger ones, I thought..wow, these are easier...but now, I don't think so...You have so much more fabric to roll up so you don't squish wrinkles into it the I have a hard time holding the little points down with my left thumb when I am stitching! (Well, DH does occasionally say that I would gripe if I was hung with a NEW rope!) LOL!

candi 08-15-2011 05:28 AM

Patty and Pat, you are both too funny,lol.
I need to take a photo of some of the pieces in progress and show you all the madness here, lol.

deranged_damsel 08-15-2011 06:35 AM

Dh says the same thing to me "you would complain if you were hung with a brand new rope"
and I tell him "OF COURSE I WOULD, if it was new it wouldnt snap in the fall, I wouldnt be able to make a get away! if you REALLY love me at all you would give me a 50yr old rope!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mousie 08-15-2011 08:05 AM

Patty, you will find this really weird...I made the 7" blocks for the center and then I enlarged the blocks for the outer border, so I'm working on 10" blocks now. When I first started the larger ones, I thought..wow, these are easier...but now, I don't think so...You have so much more fabric to roll up so you don't squish wrinkles into it the I have a hard time holding the little points down with my left thumb when I am stitching! (Well, DH does occasionally say that I would gripe if I was hung with a NEW rope!) LOL!

oh, your dh and my dh have some very similar sayings, patty! ;)