Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   After all my hard work (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/after-all-my-hard-work-t17682.html)

Sharon M 03-16-2009 07:35 PM

the quilt is beautiful! I am so sorry for your frustration on the boarder and I am to inexperienced to give advice. The lady I take some of my quilt tops to says she can hide a multitude of problems with heavy quilting. Please don't let this ruin the beauty of the quilt for you.

Susie T 03-18-2009 06:44 AM

I have read so many messages and viewed hundreds of quilts over the last year, this is my first message. This quilt is absolutely breathtaking.
I feel your pain and know that you will not be happy until you get it perfect. Perhaps the bias cut is not the best cut for the border and it should be removed.
Anyway, it is the most beautiful quilt I've ever seen.

Judith 03-18-2009 09:13 AM

Try watching Sharon Schamber's videos before you do anything. She has very good tutorials on her website. One of them tells how to steam blocks into submission!! Maybe the same thing would work for the sashing. The quilt is stunning. Great job!

weezie 03-18-2009 09:27 AM

Lovely quilt! When I saw it, I had the same idea as Marla ... which is to make a narrow binding of the wavy border and NOT remove it at all. I don't think I've ever had a wavy border, so do not know if this would work of not, but have had my share of "lemons" that I've made into "lemonade".

Moonpi 03-18-2009 10:33 AM

If you are going to machine quilt, a strip of iron-on stabilizer against that bias edge may help. I wouldn't want to hand quit through it though. I have seen tricot iron on, but have never tried it.

Marguerite 03-18-2009 10:48 AM

What a lovely job. The flowers are beautiful

newishquilter 03-18-2009 11:45 AM

I just did a table runner with bias borders and the hint in the instructions was to use spray starch on the bias border and then sew so that the bias border is under and the quilt or next border is on top of the bias. The starch stabilizes the bias edge. There is less stretching and the bias will lay flat. It worked beautifully for me.

Good luck!

Toni C 03-18-2009 02:02 PM

Forget the border. Starch on backside well with up and down iron. Use the border as binding. How did you measure the sides for the border? The quilt is beautiful,how much do you want the border?

weste 03-18-2009 02:11 PM

I took off the green binding. I starched the heck out of the bias border. Then I just laid the green border down on the bias edge n did not measure and it worked out ok. I was going to put another red border on but chicken out. Let well enough alone. Thank you all

pennyswings 03-18-2009 02:26 PM

Weste:
The quilt is stunning!! I agree with all the remarks about the outer border. Take it off and use it as the binding if you like the color so much. I agree the pieced border should stand on it's own.
Your flower blocks are beautiful. I Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!!!
Penny