Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Am I being to sensitive?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/am-i-being-sensitive-t137779.html)

gramqlts 07-19-2011 02:47 PM

That quilt is gorgeous and you are not being too sensitive. I make quilts for new babies born at our Church. One of the mothers sold hers at a consignment shop local and my daughter saw it. She called me and told me it was there....on sale for $3.00. I bought it back and am using it for a dog quilt. My little dachsand loves it and snuggles up under it all the time. Glad someone appreciates it!!!

MissJMac 07-20-2011 01:23 AM

Ladies, ladies, ladies - when will we ever learn??? Non-quilters and people who aren't closely associated with quilters will NEVER appreciate the fruits of our labor. Expecting them to do so is simply unrealistic in today's society. They are often happier with a tacky "quilt" from Walmart that was made in China.
Think about this: Someone who doesn't know the history of the Mona Lisa or does not know what goes into creating a great painting, may well select a picture from the Dollar Store because it may be more pleasing to their eye. They don't know the history and are not educated in the method of the old masters.
You're needlessly stressing yourself out by presenting these people with your quilts. Better to give them a tacky little toy and a gift certificate to a baby store.

QM 07-20-2011 01:35 AM

I agree with Charlee, they may not have understood that this lovely quilt was NOT mass produced, but that does not excuse rudeness.

In our age of mass produced instant trash, many people will never appreciate good hand work. those who do have the insight to appreciate good work will treat the results accordingly.

justlooking 07-20-2011 02:10 AM

I would have felt the same! I guess, everyone likes different things.

Iluv2quilt 07-20-2011 03:57 AM

That's too bad they didn't have a better reaction, I can tell all the work you put into this quilt. It came out really nice, hopefully down the road they will come around.

Becky Crafts 07-20-2011 05:30 AM

That's an adorable quilt!!

Greenheron 07-20-2011 05:46 AM

My Mom used to say, "Consider the source." Good manners require sensitivity to the feelings of others. Their behavior was inconsiderate and unmannerly, no matter if the quilt was to their taste (or lack thereof) or not.

"Neither cast ye your pearls before swine....."

Ozarkcastle 07-20-2011 06:05 AM

anytime someone asks: "am I ....." my answer is usually 'YES'
the quilt is lovely, I love one of a kind keepsakes!!

skjquiltnut 08-11-2011 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by stitchntimesewing
I was invited to my daughters sister in-laws daughters baby shower and went. This is a family that we spend every thanksgiving with and see several times a year at other events. Needless to say I made a baby quilt for the coming baby boy. Their theme of monkeys and jungle was made known to me after I had already started the 9 patch blue blocks. Not a problem. I improvised and used monkeys on the boarders and baby jungle on the back. Here is what made me feel sad. Her husband was there and held it up and she said here is another blanket and sat back down in the box. A couple of gifts shown later and it was a fleece tied blanket with jungle theme. They oohed and aahed and her mother came over and took several pictures. This went on for several minutes. Now I didn't want adoration for the quilt but to have had more of an even aceptance would have been nice. It made me feel like they didn't like it. Well I feel better that I vented. Here is a couple of pics of the quilt. Oh by the way I also made a matching traveling changing pad and bought a jungle babies mobile that totally matched the animals.

....sorry this happened. The whole set sounds so perfect.

Bonnie P 08-15-2011 09:44 AM

It is adorable and I know they will come to realize how much thought you put into making it and love using it for the baby.