Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Another Purse Decovil Light Interfacing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/another-purse-decovil-light-interfacing-t315845.html)

Watson 07-12-2021 08:12 AM

Another Purse Decovil Light Interfacing

3 Attachment(s)
I made another purse!
This time I used Decovil Light interfacing, which feels a little like leather and gives a greater body to the bag while still being able to turn it. I quite like it, but next time I'll keep it out of the seam allowances. Discovered that trick after I started. (My machine as unhappy!)

Anyhow...I used quilting cotton, cork and vinyl for this one. Did a removeable shoulder strap, cork slip pocket for my phone on outside, zipper pockets on front and back as well as one inside and an 8 pocket card slot holder inside. I would have done one more zipper pocket inside but ran out of black zippers.

Learned something about working with vinyl...if you run a line of stitching just an 1/8th of an inch into the seam allowance your stitches won't show, which sometimes happens with vinyl and pleather/leather as there is a lot of stress on the stitches with these fabrics. I ordered a beautiful piece of purple pleather just waiting for a good pattern, so that's a good piece of info.

I'm having fun working on this new hobby while waiting for inspiration for a quilt!

Watson

Quiltwoman44 07-12-2021 08:39 AM

Oh you make wonderful purses. love them. I used to love carrying a purse but stopped when i moved back to Texas and shopping at Walmart a few miles from my home. Too many people getting hit over the head and robbed around here these days.
I make tote bags but I give them away. Keep posting wonderful photos of your work!

Watson 07-12-2021 09:37 AM

Oh, my gosh, Quiltwoman! That's horrible to have to contemplate such things before you go out the door! So blessed to live in the area I do.

Thanks for your kind words about my creations.

Watson

rvsfan 07-12-2021 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 8495957)
I made another purse!
This time I used Decovil Light interfacing, which feels a little like leather and gives a greater body to the bag while still being able to turn it. I quite like it, but next time I'll keep it out of the seam allowances. Discovered that trick after I started. (My machine as unhappy!)

Anyhow...I used quilting cotton, cork and vinyl for this one. Did a removeable shoulder strap, cork slip pocket for my phone on outside, zipper pockets on front and back as well as one inside and an 8 pocket card slot holder inside. I would have done one more zipper pocket inside but ran out of black zippers.

Learned something about working with vinyl...if you run a line of stitching just an 1/8th of an inch into the seam allowance your stitches won't show, which sometimes happens with vinyl and pleather/leather as there is a lot of stress on the stitches with these fabrics. I ordered a beautiful piece of purple pleather just waiting for a good pattern, so that's a good piece of info.

I'm having fun working on this new hobby while waiting for inspiration for a quilt!

Watson

Where is the cork used in this lovely Purse? I am anxious to use cork in a purse but would like to see/hear some examples and comments. I have never heard of Decovil light interfacing but am definitely going to look into that. Sounds perfect for totes and purses. I also like Watson's removable straps but those are way above my level of expertise. Maybe YouTube can help me with that.

Jingle 07-12-2021 10:59 AM

That is a very nice purse. Good work.

Watson 07-12-2021 11:00 AM

Hi The cork is on the front in the first picture where there are the 3 fabrics. It is on the bottom and is black with metallic silver slashes in it. Cork is pretty easy to use although I would suggest a Teflon open toe foot for top stitching.
I will post pictures of the other two purses I did in more cork but I'm on my tablet right now and can't access the pictures.
Remove able straps aren't hard at all. Just find a free pattern that has a walk through video and follow that. That's what I do.
Oklaroots is really good. Look her up on YouTube.
watson

Doggramma 07-12-2021 11:03 AM

What a great purse, and so professional looking. I’ll have to try that interfacing. I’ve been using Soft and Stable, but that can be a little too foamy for some projects.

Tartan 07-12-2021 11:12 AM

Lovely purse!

Watson 07-12-2021 11:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
rvsfan...here are the two other purses I used cork in.
The one that is completely cork was actually the first purse I ever made (My motto being, "Go big or go home...even when you don't know what you're doing.") and although I made some mistakes, it turned out well. The top part is cork with a gold fleck and the bottom is a patterned cork.
The purple purse has cork just as the slip pocket on the front. I learned from it that I needed to sew vinyl along the top so it didn't stretch out as I used it. I did that in the second purse.
These smaller pieces of cork are just "samples" so were really inexpensive to buy. Cork can be pretty pricey.
Watson

Rhonda K 07-12-2021 01:51 PM

Great bags!

Great timing too. I haven't heard or used that inter-facing but will check into it. The current project (lining) isn't working with fusible so I'm re-cutting one side of lining. Thanks for the tip.

I use look a like "cork" fabric. Easy to work with.