Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Another Purse Decovil Light Interfacing >

Another Purse Decovil Light Interfacing

Another Purse Decovil Light Interfacing

Old 07-12-2021, 08:12 AM

Default Another Purse Decovil Light Interfacing

I made another purse!
This time I used Decovil Light interfacing, which feels a little like leather and gives a greater body to the bag while still being able to turn it. I quite like it, but next time I'll keep it out of the seam allowances. Discovered that trick after I started. (My machine as unhappy!)

Anyhow...I used quilting cotton, cork and vinyl for this one. Did a removeable shoulder strap, cork slip pocket for my phone on outside, zipper pockets on front and back as well as one inside and an 8 pocket card slot holder inside. I would have done one more zipper pocket inside but ran out of black zippers.

Learned something about working with vinyl...if you run a line of stitching just an 1/8th of an inch into the seam allowance your stitches won't show, which sometimes happens with vinyl and pleather/leather as there is a lot of stress on the stitches with these fabrics. I ordered a beautiful piece of purple pleather just waiting for a good pattern, so that's a good piece of info.

I'm having fun working on this new hobby while waiting for inspiration for a quilt!

Watson

Attached Thumbnails blackpurse.jpg   blackpurseinterior.jpg   blackpurseback.jpg  
Old 07-12-2021, 08:39 AM

Oh you make wonderful purses. love them. I used to love carrying a purse but stopped when i moved back to Texas and shopping at Walmart a few miles from my home. Too many people getting hit over the head and robbed around here these days.
I make tote bags but I give them away. Keep posting wonderful photos of your work!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:37 AM

Oh, my gosh, Quiltwoman! That's horrible to have to contemplate such things before you go out the door! So blessed to live in the area I do.

Thanks for your kind words about my creations.

Watson
Old 07-12-2021, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I made another purse!
This time I used Decovil Light interfacing, which feels a little like leather and gives a greater body to the bag while still being able to turn it. I quite like it, but next time I'll keep it out of the seam allowances. Discovered that trick after I started. (My machine as unhappy!)

Anyhow...I used quilting cotton, cork and vinyl for this one. Did a removeable shoulder strap, cork slip pocket for my phone on outside, zipper pockets on front and back as well as one inside and an 8 pocket card slot holder inside. I would have done one more zipper pocket inside but ran out of black zippers.

Learned something about working with vinyl...if you run a line of stitching just an 1/8th of an inch into the seam allowance your stitches won't show, which sometimes happens with vinyl and pleather/leather as there is a lot of stress on the stitches with these fabrics. I ordered a beautiful piece of purple pleather just waiting for a good pattern, so that's a good piece of info.

I'm having fun working on this new hobby while waiting for inspiration for a quilt!

Watson
Where is the cork used in this lovely Purse? I am anxious to use cork in a purse but would like to see/hear some examples and comments. I have never heard of Decovil light interfacing but am definitely going to look into that. Sounds perfect for totes and purses. I also like Watson's removable straps but those are way above my level of expertise. Maybe YouTube can help me with that.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

That is a very nice purse. Good work.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:00 AM

Hi The cork is on the front in the first picture where there are the 3 fabrics. It is on the bottom and is black with metallic silver slashes in it. Cork is pretty easy to use although I would suggest a Teflon open toe foot for top stitching.
I will post pictures of the other two purses I did in more cork but I'm on my tablet right now and can't access the pictures.
Remove able straps aren't hard at all. Just find a free pattern that has a walk through video and follow that. That's what I do.
Oklaroots is really good. Look her up on YouTube.
watson

Last edited by Watson; 07-12-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:03 AM

What a great purse, and so professional looking. I’ll have to try that interfacing. I’ve been using Soft and Stable, but that can be a little too foamy for some projects.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Lovely purse!
Old 07-12-2021, 11:38 AM

rvsfan...here are the two other purses I used cork in.
The one that is completely cork was actually the first purse I ever made (My motto being, "Go big or go home...even when you don't know what you're doing.") and although I made some mistakes, it turned out well. The top part is cork with a gold fleck and the bottom is a patterned cork.
The purple purse has cork just as the slip pocket on the front. I learned from it that I needed to sew vinyl along the top so it didn't stretch out as I used it. I did that in the second purse.
These smaller pieces of cork are just "samples" so were really inexpensive to buy. Cork can be pretty pricey.
Watson
Attached Thumbnails bpurse1.jpg   purse.jpg  
Old 07-12-2021, 01:51 PM

Great bags!

Great timing too. I haven't heard or used that inter-facing but will check into it. The current project (lining) isn't working with fusible so I'm re-cutting one side of lining. Thanks for the tip.

I use look a like "cork" fabric. Easy to work with.