Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Apparently I have no idea what I am doing! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/apparently-i-have-no-idea-what-i-am-doing-t148975.html)

GladGrams 09-01-2011 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I am attempting to make a table runner for a friend. She wants log cabin blocks for it. I made 2 of the 3 I need and messed up on both of them. Good thing I have plenty of this fabric to work with. LOL!! BTW this is my first attempt at a Log Cabin.
Can you see what I did wrong?

The only way I seem to be able to sew a good log cabin is using paper piecing.

SWChick 09-01-2011 04:12 AM

Cjomomma, you should see some of the blocks I've been attempting for the friendship swap. 1 I have taken apart 3 times and the 2nd I have taken apart 4 times.sometimes I think I should just stick to applique. I love the colors you are using.

cjomomma 09-01-2011 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
First, my apology if this has already been posted...I haven't read all the postings.

That said...when I make the log cabin block half the block is "lights" and the other half "darks". You are alternating your lights and darks on all sides so you have created a new block in my opinion....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Do a search for "log cabin block images" and you will see what I'm trying to describe. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I did that on purpose. I never follow the rules, I like to be different. :-)

one-and-only 09-01-2011 04:27 AM

Just call it a scrappy or crumb log cabin. Wasn't that the plan!! Just think of it as painting with fabric, and Bob Ross says when he is painting, "it isn't a mistake, just a happy accident!"

cjomomma 09-01-2011 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by one&only
Just call it a scrappy or crumb log cabin. Wasn't that the plan!! Just think of it as painting with fabric, and Bob Ross says when he is painting, "it isn't a mistake, just a happy accident!"

I loved watching his show! I will have to remember that, just a happy accident! Thanks!

cjomomma 09-01-2011 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by SWChick
Cjomomma, you should see some of the blocks I've been attempting for the friendship swap. 1 I have taken apart 3 times and the 2nd I have taken apart 4 times.sometimes I think I should just stick to applique. I love the colors you are using.

I don't take things apart, I just start over. My seam ripper and I don't have a happy relationship. It gets so bored of just sitting there that sometimes it will hide just so I will miss it and have to hunt it down. I guess I'm not meeting it's needs. LOL!

ns 09-01-2011 07:45 AM

I think you need to get Eleanore Burns Book Log Cabin Quilt in a Day. She gives great instructions and different pattern designs. I love her books.

ns 09-01-2011 07:46 AM

I think you need to get Eleanore Burns Book Log Cabin Quilt in a Day. She gives great instructions and different pattern designs. I love her books.

ns 09-01-2011 07:48 AM

mrs. fitz 09-01-2011 07:51 AM

Everyone can see it because you brought it up and we all LOOKED. Your two blocks may not be 100% correct but I think they're interesting and pretty, and I'd probably just go ahead and do the rest the same way. You just did some creative quilting.