Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Applique I need honest advise (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/applique-i-need-honest-advise-t34475.html)

Marcia 01-18-2010 04:40 PM

Practice, practice, practice is the key to machine applique.

Take it slowly......when I was first starting out I stitched very slowly to make sure my stitches landed where they were supposed to.

Your needle needs to be on the background fabric only (right next to the applique fabric) for your straight stitch and then it "bites" into your applique on the zigzag stitch.

Curves and turns take more practice and will require you to stop, have your needle down in the fabric, lift your presser foot, and turn your fabric to ready for the next stitch.

Good luck---you are both doing a good job!!!

ctquilter 01-18-2010 04:43 PM

i could be wrong but i think you flipped the apron template? i think the rounded edge that you have in the front should be in the back. I hope that makes sense.

littlehud 01-18-2010 06:22 PM

That is wonderful. I wouldn't change a thing.

tuesy 01-18-2010 06:37 PM

I think you did a great job!! If I were in your swap I'd be happy to get one of these blocks!

Chele 01-18-2010 06:43 PM

It all looks great to me! Applique is tricky, huh? Amma has a great idea of stitching differently on some scrap fabric and labeling the settings. Gotta do that tomorrow! Don't forget a sharp needle. I always change the needle if I'm going to applique. And here's a funny thing, my machine "whines" the same pitch as my dog when I applique. Maybe that's why I avoid applique! I have to stop to see what the dog is whining about and I find him sound asleep somewhere!

isnthatodd 01-18-2010 07:16 PM

I love the way you cut the fabric for the different parts. :)

jljack 01-18-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Marcia
Practice, practice, practice is the key to machine applique.

Take it slowly......when I was first starting out I stitched very slowly to make sure my stitches landed where they were supposed to.

It took me an hour to machine stitch my first applique piece! I went sooooo slow...but I am really happy with how it turned out. Slow is better at the beginning.....no need to hurry and end up not being happy with it. You're doing good.

k3n 01-19-2010 02:54 AM

I think you're doing great and I'm along for the ride to learn too - I've never done machine appliqué that has seen the light of day! :-D

krazy4quilts 01-19-2010 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by ctquilter
i could be wrong but i think you flipped the apron template? i think the rounded edge that you have in the front should be in the back. I hope that makes sense.

Very good, yes I did I noticed it after I had cut it out. But with this being a practice I thought go ahead.

On the straight stitch being on the background fabric, thanks that is what we were wondering. Gonna cut her out again toady and practice some more.

Mamagus 01-19-2010 03:42 AM

I think you're getting it now!

Tip: I had to applique some hearts yesterday on small pieces of fabric... lots of twists and turns! I had an EUREKA! moment and put on my quilting gloves. I found I could turn the material with the tips of my fingers SO much easier!