Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Army quilt - January UFO (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/army-quilt-january-ufo-t43434.html)

nwm50 04-22-2010 06:12 AM

Love it! I hava neice joing Army this summer and thinking this would be an perfect Grad gift to give. Now all i gotta do is find these materials. Where would i find it at? I would do it in a slightly different pattern apparently, since this is your pattern to start with.

LucyInTheSky 04-22-2010 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by nwm50
Love it! I hava neice joing Army this summer and thinking this would be an perfect Grad gift to give. Now all i gotta do is find these materials. Where would i find it at? I would do it in a slightly different pattern apparently, since this is your pattern to start with.

Anyone - please feel free to use it. I think I lost my Excel sketch when my hard drive died a few years ago, otherwise I'd post the file. But it's pretty basic - square, strip, strip, cornerstone, strip, strip (more or less). But please, help yourself! I had a 6.5" ruler, so that's how wide the big strips are. I think the stars were 4.5" and 2.5" but I might be making that up. I based the lengths off of my center piece.

I went on fabshophop.com and did their search for army and camouflage fabric ("camoflague", did get a few hits). I ended up on a website that had most of the fabrics, though it's so long ago, I can't remember where. They had fabrics for all the branches. I was super careful, I didn't want to use Marine fabric on accident... I know the Army guys wouldn't be happy :D :D Per searching just now, it looks like the Army tanks/helicopter one is a Robert Kaufman.

nwm50 04-22-2010 07:54 AM

Thank u sooooooo much for sharing! Can't wait to shop for materials and 'git' busy.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-22-2010 06:55 PM

love this, I want to make one

MadQuilter 04-22-2010 07:38 PM

I just got some Navy fabric in along with some basic red/white/blue. Thanks for giving me some ideas.

Great job!

mjsylvstr 04-23-2010 03:47 AM

What a great idea.I hope you won't mind if I take a few ideas from your quilt. I had purchased (years ago) a panel of the Navy emblem. Was going to make a pillow for my son.....a Navy vet. But now I think that a wall hanging would be nice. Thanks for the inspiration........mj

DeniseB 04-23-2010 03:53 AM

Great job, great quilt. I am sure it will be treasured. You have given me an idea for DH, he was in the Navy. I have a neice who is currently in the Navy,just finishing up boot camp, That would be a nice gift for her also.
Thanks for the idea.

sarahelloyd 04-23-2010 03:11 PM

what a smashing man's quilt!

mrsalshhadeh 04-23-2010 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
what a smashing man's quilt!

thanks!!!!!

GoneQuilting 04-23-2010 04:33 PM

I have 3 kids and they all went into the military. My daughter was in the navy and did 2 tours in the Medirtrainian waters, My son was in the Army Special Forces as a Airborn Ranger, and my youngest son is currently in the Air Force as a Air Traffic Controller. My brother was also in the Army as a blackhawk pilot and he still is but now as a Army Chaplin. Love to see anything Military!! Great Job. PM'ed you.