Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Back From Romania-Look At This Sewing Machine! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/back-romania-look-sewing-machine-t255853.html)

purplefiend 10-28-2014 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 6947856)
You may be surprised at how many people have a $2,000.00 sewing machine in the sewing room, and sew on an old treadle from the early 1900's, even 1800's. I have two old ones that I love to use. A Featherweight from 1951 and a Singer 128 from 1924. I have sewn on a treadle in my high school days, and would love to have one. I have my eye on one.

Also, notice where her thread comes from. She has a large cone sitting on the floor.

Such a beautiful photo and thank you for sharing it with us.
I have a new Pfaff Quilter's Expression 4.2, yet I sew quite a few of my quilt blocks using a 1917 White or 1921 Singer 66 treadles. The machine in my avatar photo is a 1955 Pfaff 60 treadle, it gets used quite often.
Sharon in Texas

Barb_MO 10-29-2014 04:50 AM

Great photos of a lovely lady. As others have, I noticed the thread on the floor behind her machine and also had the thread running across the edge of the table has worn of the finish. Makes me want to send her a stand to sit on the table behind the machine. you would thing that the thread running of the rough edge would be breaking constantly.
Thanks for sharing you adventure with us.

kariboo 10-29-2014 02:46 PM

what a great photo, and I bet those slippers are warm too.

LindaMRB 10-29-2014 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by GailG (Post 6943745)
I am captured by her kind eyes and sweet smile!

my sentiments exactly, and I love the slippers!

ann31039 10-29-2014 04:47 PM

That is cool and i love the slippers. Can't wear them as I'm allergic to wool, but they are adorable and look comfortable.

TacoMama 10-29-2014 09:33 PM

Love these photos! Thank you for sharing.

Tropical 10-29-2014 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by GailG (Post 6943745)
I am captured by her kind eyes and sweet smile!

Me, too. When I first saw her picture, I thought, what beautiful lady.

copycat 10-30-2014 02:02 AM

Your photography is amazing. The pictures are crystal clear. The colors are so vibrant.

I have always thought it would be fun to sew outside as she is doing. She looks very fulfilled doing her craft.

Thanks for posting your photos!

yobrosew 10-30-2014 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 6945471)
In Peru a year or two ago, we went to the "Market". Hundreds of "booths" in a very large building. Quit a few of these booths had a treadle sewing machine in front with someone making what was being sold in the booth. They didn't need an outlet.

Originally Posted by dilyn (Post 6945691)
What a beautiful lady. I learned to sew on an old treadle machine (does that date me at all?LOL) and I would love to have another one but working ones are way over my budget!

Keep an eye on Craigslist. Some working ones around here go from ten bucks to several hundred with most around seventy five dollars. Start reading the Vintage forum to ease the intimidation of a gunked up and dirty machine. Those go nice and cheap.

yobrosew 10-30-2014 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 6945471)
In Peru a year or two ago, we went to the "Market". Hundreds of "booths" in a very large building. Quit a few of these booths had a treadle sewing machine in front with someone making what was being sold in the booth. They didn't need an outlet.

I too love the slippers. Wish could figure out pattern. Slippers from Felted wool made from Goodwill wool sweaters would make my family happy.