Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Beginner Class Table Runner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/beginner-class-table-runner-t24836.html)

Lisanne 08-30-2009 02:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I finally found my camera, but I'm worse at using it than I am at quilting. It took me ages to figure out that my pics looked wrong because it was in landscape mode and I needed portrait mode. These modes are not like the page setup modes in MS Word, it turns out.

Okay, I took this beginner class in late June - early July. The table runner was machine quilted. Understand that I don't have a machine, haven't sewn on one since 7th grade, wanted to be hand quilting, was not comfortable with the LQS's machine, which was a perfectly decent Bernina...

As you can see, my sashing is bowlegged and I have peaks instead of right angles in the corners. We did the binding by hand. It's uneven because there's a machine seam underneath it that is uneven.

Definitely beginner work. I've seen so many people post their first project here and the work is beautiful. Oh well, practice will help, right?

<sigh> I see the first two pics didn't upload in the intended order. How do they get transposed?

Front View of the Table Runner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46939[/ATTACH]

Detail of the Table Runner Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46954[/ATTACH]

Detail of the Table Runner Back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46956[/ATTACH]

gaigai 08-30-2009 02:31 PM

I think it's beautiful Lisanne! And the squares are perfectly square. Good job!

Jim's Gem 08-30-2009 02:32 PM

I think it looks great for beginner work. We all started somewhere girl!!! I had sewn other things before quilts.
I do like your floral fabric!!!
Now you can start your next project and you will have learned to make it better. Each new item you make will be an improvement over the previous.

Evelynquilts 08-30-2009 02:59 PM

we were all beginners....and guess what? Our quilts are not perfect...but we sure do enjoy making them...keep up the good work... :lol:

Ducky 08-30-2009 03:03 PM

Lisanne, you did a wonderful job on that table runner! Really excellent for a beginner! Loved your colors -- did you choose them yourself?

Lisanne 08-30-2009 03:21 PM

Thanks for your very kind compliments and encouragement, everyone!

Gaigai, the squares are definitely the best of the piece, thanks to strip piecing and an excellent instructor who showed us how to correct for minor discrepancies in square sizes.

Gayle, yes, the floral is gorgeous fabric, isn't it? My work doesn't do it justice. That came from JoAnn's - all the fabrics in the piece did.

Ducky, yes, I chose the fabrics myself. LOL, can't you tell? The light squares really don't go with anything but the green, but they went so well with the green that I couldn't let them go. Definitely a beginner error.

Susy 08-30-2009 04:15 PM

I think it looks great & if you are beginner, believe me, you will go far! I can't even pick the colours and you obviously have that down already!

swimmom 08-30-2009 04:21 PM

Lovely, and it all goes together very nicely!

Mousie 08-30-2009 04:56 PM

girlfriend, you really had me going...I was expecting to see some wonky work, and while I will not lie to ppl, was prepared to find the positives.
It's all positive! You did a good job, and not only that. You did me a favor, bc I have some of the rose fabric, and got to see what looks good with it. I like these. You really are your own worst critic :wink:

RedGarnet222 08-30-2009 05:01 PM

Yes ...I too think you did a great job on them. Don't be so hard on yourself. They are very nice.