Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Blooming 9 patch fabric color help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/blooming-9-patch-fabric-color-help-t123655.html)

LovinMySoldier 06-14-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
Hey, lovingmysoldier, how's the B9P going? Please post photos!

I will have to post some pics! I have the first 4 colors done. Got busy with life and haven't worked on it the last two weeks. It is fun seeing it come together.

BrendaY 06-14-2011 10:09 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures... LOVE your fabrics!

tms 06-14-2011 10:15 AM

I too want to see pictures! Love your fabric choices!

Rebecca_S 06-14-2011 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Are you planning to fussy-cut the rightmost fabric for your inner selection? I would do so, to ensure that you get the right balance of colors for your center. There will only be a few blocks of the centermost colors.
I think that maybe adding a lighter fabric near the light blues or yellows or a darker by the first pink would be good, I agree that your values are much the same. Photographing your fabrics really makes a difference in how you view them, doesn't it?

If I may, I'm enclosing 2 pics of the batik fabric and the blooming 9 patch I'm currently working on. After I started cutting and sewing, I found that my 2 favorite fabrics are the green snake and the cobalt. They both have a small pattern with high contrast so they flow well against their neighboring fabrics.

LovinMySoldier 06-14-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S
Are you planning to fussy-cut the rightmost fabric for your inner selection? I would do so, to ensure that you get the right balance of colors for your center. There will only be a few blocks of the centermost colors.
I think that maybe adding a lighter fabric near the light blues or yellows or a darker by the first pink would be good, I agree that your values are much the same. Photographing your fabrics really makes a difference in how you view them, doesn't it?

If I may, I'm enclosing 2 pics of the batik fabric and the blooming 9 patch I'm currently working on. After I started cutting and sewing, I found that my 2 favorite fabrics are the green snake and the cobalt. They both have a small pattern with high contrast so they flow well against their neighboring fabrics.

Once I started working on it and had cut my strips I realized that the rightmost fabric that you commented on was wrong as well. So I completely pulled that fabric. It just didn't work. I changed a couple of the other colors around. I have a much better idea now as to what I needed then when I started. I LOVE yours though. So pretty! I love seeing the movement into the next color. It "blooms" very nicely! I love it! Thanks for the help.

LovinMySoldier 06-14-2011 04:17 PM

I will take a picture tonight of what I have so far and maybe you all can give me a few pointers on where I need to go next lol. My problem is that I like color and I just want to use all of them and all of the fabric that I like lol!

tms 06-19-2011 08:45 AM

wow! beautiful!

jillaine 11-22-2012 03:20 AM

Over a year later inquiring minds still want photos!

A1penny 11-22-2012 05:01 AM

This was an interesting post. I really didn't know what a 'blooming 9 patch was. Rebecca S sort of cleared that up, and i can see that it is the values of the fabrics that are necessary. Will be very interested to see your quilt 'lovingmysoldier'!

coachmatthewsvhs 11-22-2012 08:19 PM

I like #2 best...... I did one with jewel tones for my daughters wedding gift. I'll try to post it. If each touching fabric has 2-3 colors of the one it "blooms" with, they will blend well. Great choices!! Here's the link to mine... album of my quilts. Near the bottom are 3 pictures. 1) is jewel tone fabric lined up 2) is begining of quilt 3) finished quilt:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...albums298.html