Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Caley's Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/caleys-quilts-t316575.html)

CaleyH 10-09-2021 05:40 PM

Thanks Everyone. There are actually five colours in this quilt. The black diamonds are black and white, with the wide border also black. The squares that look white are actually Bella Solids Silver. Then there are two shades of gray used. One shade of gray for the triangles, and the other for the binding.

copycat 10-12-2021 02:18 AM

I like the name you gave your quilt...black diamonds! It is precious! https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/tongue.png

CaleyH 10-15-2021 10:35 AM

Oops! I posted one of my new thingies at https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...t316561-2.html post#19.
Should have been here. Sorry about that. Will try to put my new thingies here when I get them done.

CaleyH 11-12-2021 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished two lap quilts, that I will gift to someone. Just need to find someone who might want a pair of them.

I learned my lesson when it comes to piecing strips of blocks together that have short borders between them. Always pin them to ensure nothing stretches. Both of these quilts stretched lengthwise, so the blocks got staggered. Good learning experience though.

I keep learning little things each time I make a quilt.

OK, now that you've read this, put on your slumglasses, as these two are very bright and colourful, made from a stack of Batiks charms.

cjsews 11-13-2021 04:50 AM

Good job on these. The black sashing makes those batiks pop

CaleyH 11-13-2021 07:25 AM

CJ, Thanks so much. Yes, I tried just putting th3e Batiks together, but it just didn't look right. And yes, the Black fabric made them stand out nicely.

Like I said before, I keep learning something every time I make a quilt.

Stitchnripper 11-14-2021 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by CaleyH (Post 8519366)
CJ, Thanks so much. Yes, I tried just putting th3e Batiks together, but it just didn't look right. And yes, the Black fabric made them stand out nicely.

Like I said before, I keep learning something every time I make a quilt.

That’s so good! I’ve been quilting almost 18 years and there is always something to learn, a different method to try, a new product to help or not (but I try them!). I don’t ascribe to “I was always taught to …” if that method doesn’t work well for me and something else does. Someone will try a relatively unorthodox technique and I will try it! Keep it up! Nice quilts.

CaleyH 01-08-2022 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year to Everyone.

I've been busy with my sewing for some time. I retired from my volunteer work so that I could devote more to fixing up my house, and to my hobbies.

So I decided that I needed to put something atop all the flat wood surfaces that get dusty. I live in the high desert, so I live in a dust bowl. No matter how much I dust, a few hours later, it looks as if I never dusted. And the wood was starting to look dull, even with the furniture polish.

So I have started a new project of making table runners that cover all the exposed flat surfaces. Can't do anything for the sides, but at least the tops can be protected. Table runners are a lot nicer looking than covering them with paper or plastic.

Here's the second runner that I've completed. I did one last year by piecing together several 12 inch star patterns I did when I first started quilting. This one is my first eight pointed star attempt that wasn't made up of two triangle pieces. I followed the instructions in a new book I purchased, "Diamond Star Quilts" by Barbara H. Cline. I also watched a few YouTube videos.

One other video I watched was on how to eliminate fabric bulk where so many fabric points come together. There were several ways to accomplish this, but I decided on the easiest, which was to after sewing a part of a block, to turn the block over, and carefully snip a sliver triangle away on the 1/4 inch seam allowance on both ends, while also snipping off the little ears that you get when adding triangles. I still haven't learned how to eliminate the fabric bulk you get on the corners with the binding.

I used fabric that was given to me by a very generous person on our Forum. The Backing was just some extra from 108 inch. backing that I got when I did a larger quilt. I used Moda solids for the border and binding. I added free hand wavy lines on the gree border. And I again, did 1/4 inch quilting along all the pieced lines, using similar colours to the fabric. I think you can see that in the photo.

julybaby8 01-09-2022 07:23 AM

Very nice. A black and white quilt is on my wish list.

CaleyH 01-11-2022 03:38 PM

julybaby8, Black and white, and thr associated grays can make some really beautiful quilts. My first attempt, made me very happy. I've a kit from Connecting Threads that is all those colours. I just need to piece it together. Wishing you lots of enjoyment with your first endeavour.