Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Can't believe I'm so cheap sometimes! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/cant-believe-im-so-cheap-sometimes-t223587.html)

IshtarsMom 06-13-2013 07:26 AM

Can't believe I'm so cheap sometimes!

2 Attachment(s)
Some years back DS gave DH some Dockers....he wore the seat out(you had to know that's what he'd wear out..also wore the seat out of 2 pr sweat pants) The legs were still perfectly good and the material was heavy weight so I make a shopping bag out of them...used the waistband for the top... We used it today and it worked great...double sewed the seams so there was no way it was going to come undone. The other is pants I made out of thrift shop material... I know I'm hopeless when it comes to recycling and using up everything...

We sort and save all recyclables and take them to Springfield(60 miles) on our monthly trip to buy supplies. Compost every scrap possible for the soil... That makes sense but I'm not so sure about the others...You wouldn't believe...LOL

StephT 06-13-2013 07:29 AM

I love that bag..waist not want not..LOL

Grandma Bonnie 06-13-2013 07:39 AM

You made a great bag from 'leftovers'. I'm with you on the recycling. I saved mine up and hauled 40 miles away for 25 or so years and now actually have a trash company that takes recycling twice a month! You can believe I wrote them a big Thank You letter!

Baloonatic 06-13-2013 08:34 AM

I too recycle everything that I can. Our weekly trash is less than a paper shopping bag, all else is recycled with our local garbage company. I have 2 large compost bins for vegetarian waste and my gardens benefit!
I collect 'scraps' from quilting projects (from friends too) and give them to other ladies in my philanthropic quilt group. They use leftover strips such as from from binding to make strippy and scrappy quilts. Fabric pieces and batting too small to be useful is chopped up to stuff pet beds for the local Humane society. Hardly anything goes to waste!

crafty pat 06-13-2013 08:44 AM

Every one in my family ask me all the time why I keep so many old things that need to be thrown away. I am always finding ways to make something new out of them. Your bag is so nice and will be useful for a long time.

Daffy Daphne 06-13-2013 11:31 AM

That's not cheap--that's smart and resourceful!

SavedByGrace 06-13-2013 11:35 AM

I LOVE the bag! Awesome idea!! I have a blouse that my grandmother gave me shortly before she passed away. I've kept it for years for sentimental reasons. I've been trying to think of something I can make with it while keeping the front of the blouse intact. Ideas?

StickyN 06-13-2013 11:37 AM

I like that bag! It would be very useful.

Rosyhf 06-13-2013 11:52 AM

You're not cheap, you are wonderful!!!

IrishgalfromNJ 06-13-2013 12:23 PM

I love the way you recycle. I recently found a very pretty sheet at Goodwill for about $6.00. I was going to use it as a quilt back but I'm seriously thinking about making a skirt or some loose fitting pants that I can wear around the yard.