Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Can't see the forest for the trees. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/cant-see-forest-trees-t302811.html)

Battle Axe 02-06-2019 06:57 AM

Can't see the forest for the trees.

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]608055[/ATTACH]On my second attempt to learn to quilt, I took a class at Yoder's Dept. store in Shipshewana. We used a book by Dianna McClun and Laura Nownes: Quilts, quilts, quilts !!!. Page 47 - 48 there is a pine tree. We were encouraged to pick a block and repeat it several times to perfect points etc. So I have been working on this (a real UFO) for about 12 years, using up stash and scraps. I have 70 trees and this top is supposed to be 72 x 84. I can see where my skills have somewhat improved with practice. Now to add some borders.

MaryKatherine 02-06-2019 07:02 AM

Love this! It's simplicity allows the trees to shine (or stand tall)

Jordan 02-06-2019 07:56 AM

I love your beautiful trees. I am so jealous that you got to go to Shipshewana. My husband and I were there in 2017 and I loved the area. In fact, we ordered and had made a bedroom set and we are so pleased with the great workmanship of our new furniture. Now I want to go back. :). Anyway-love your quilt and you did great on it.

Jordan 02-06-2019 07:57 AM

Forgot to ask-what kind of border are you adding?

LindaMRB 02-06-2019 08:01 AM

I like the idea of repeating a block for practice.
It works especially well for these trees. Love It!

Boston1954 02-06-2019 08:16 AM

I love, love, love it!! The colors you picked are wonderful. When you get tired of looking at it, you can send it here for a vacation.

Tartan 02-06-2019 08:24 AM

Cute tree top! If you want to perfect more points, how about a flying geese border? :D The staggered flying geese would look good also if you needed a wider border.

Battle Axe 02-06-2019 08:35 AM

I like flying geese, but am burned out on trying to line things up right now. I'm just putting plain borders on this one and will attempt something else later. This was just scrap after scrap and on my UFO list for years. It's little tub is empty now and it is time to move on. The first border I have picked out is something extra from my peacock quilt, but goldish brown, I had a yard and a half left. So I figured I'd get a 2 1/2 inch cut making a 2 inch border. For the next one ???????????????? I might look at a green. I think I'll make some cornerstones and put flying geese in them. That way we can have birds in the picture.

How cute, Boston 1954, my quilt takes a vacation and I get to stay home and clean the laundromat!!

Jordan, I live eleven miles south of Shipshewana. I'm a local. In a few minutes I am taking one of the wood working Amishmen to turn his taxes in. They are genetically superior people (in my humble opinion). They can look at something and tell if it's straight or not. Besides that they are straight as arrows morally. I love it here, so blessed to live among them.

dunster 02-06-2019 10:04 AM

I love the scrappiness of the trees. It's a beautiful quilt.

pchp 02-06-2019 10:27 AM

It looks great! Good for you for persisting.