Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   crocheted Doiley (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/crocheted-doiley-t140808.html)

grannyp70 07-28-2011 11:14 AM

Beautiful doiley, haven't seen any thing like this in a long time. I use to crochet but I can't anymore due to my hands hurting to bad, but I try and quilt some. great job.

Love angels 07-28-2011 11:20 AM

wow all of those are so beautiful. I could look at them all day. It inspires me to get back into crocheting.

Sweeterthanwine 07-28-2011 11:38 AM

I used to crochet but the arthritis in my hands doesn't like it. My hands get to sore and stiff anymore. I love your piece tho, it is very beautiful.

4L 07-28-2011 11:58 AM

I remember as a child helping put newly laundered and starched doilies on the "stretcher" so they would dry properly and "stiff" with starch..much like our"can-cans" we wore under our poofy skirts and dresses. Mostly sugar water was used as a starching liquid...

GrannieAnnie 07-28-2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
Just finished this. It came from an old book my sister in law owns (booklet) that was called Heirloom or something. Just thought you might enjoy seeing it. Picture taken at 11 p.m. and room isn't that light...used the flash attachment.

It is about 21 inches in diameter.

Beautful! I've tried and I can't crochet tight enough with thread. I admire anyone who can.

GrannieAnnie 07-28-2011 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 4L
I remember as a child helping put newly laundered and starched doilies on the "stretcher" so they would dry properly and "stiff" with starch..much like our"can-cans" we wore under our poofy skirts and dresses. Mostly sugar water was used as a starching liquid...

Never used sugar water. Mom made starch from corn starch and water---------or the Fautless startch box.

4L 07-28-2011 12:09 PM

I never made it either.. I just helped once things were starched...but I know sugar water was used.. what the proportions were I haven't a clue...or how big a container was used to dunk the 'can-cans" in to get them coated in the sugar water...

wordpaintervs 07-28-2011 02:29 PM

here is a laugh ladies (and gentleman) I thought I used a size 6 on the doiley, but come to find out it was smaller and a size 9, and I'd been looking at the numbers upside down. Is there any hope for me out here....is it Alzheimers...oh woe is me~ (Laughing at my silly self)

Sewfine 07-29-2011 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs

Originally Posted by Sewfine
Wow! I make these also. The large one on the coffee table is 25 1/2' and the small one for the end table is about 15 -15 1/2.

I made two of the one on the bottom and they are on my living room end tables. I love them.

Would it be possible to get a pattern for the one on top. It is beautiful. I'd be happy to pay postage or for copies, etc, if it is available.

Checked all my books and cannot find it. I checked on line and could not find it there either. Will email mother and see if she has it.

blossom808 07-29-2011 09:22 AM

nice.