Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   destroyed quilt pics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/destroyed-quilt-pics-t151839.html)

tealfalcon 09-10-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by NDQuilts
This would be my game plan if I were to tackle this project.

1 make templates. This can be done several ways. You will want the leaves and the quilting designs. I appears this was a quilt with wreathes in the center and a vine around the edge.

2. Sketch and measure on paper. Make a plan. Layout on fabric

3. Appliqué

This is the kind of project that I love to do. The more time you take to measure, plan, observe the better the outcome.

i have done a few of these already...i made all the bias tape...and i make a template for the leaves....so now i need to work on the layout

snicker dee 09-10-2011 03:08 PM

What a wonderful blessing this will be for your Mom. Please post your progress ... can't wait to see what you do.

winterpromise31 09-10-2011 03:13 PM

That is a beautiful quilt! Good luck with the new one. Your mom is very lucky. :)

Quiltinelaine 09-10-2011 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
What a wonderful project. I think I would cut the largest square or rectangle from the pieces and treat that like a center panel. Then cut the rest of the quilt pieces into squares, all the same size. Don't know how big from your pics. Any smaller pieces that are left over I would have framed for family members. I would then arrange the squares with pieced blocks of the same size from your fabric. I would do a quilt as you go, so you wouldn't loose any of your dggm's quilting. Quilt your blocks individually, then join to her already quilted blocks using sashing. I'm anxious to see other's suggestions!!

I agree and I think it's a wondrful idea to frame some pieces for other family members: That is a perfect way to share w/family. Best of everything to u Mom (this had to be so hard on her). You r such a good daughter: Bless U.

pinecone 09-10-2011 04:52 PM

What a wonderful thing to do for your mom. Do you have an idea when the quilt was made?

piney

tealfalcon 09-10-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by pinecone
What a wonderful thing to do for your mom. Do you have an idea when the quilt was made?

piney

yes i found the piece with her initials and date....it was made in 1938

Nettie Phillips 09-10-2011 04:56 PM

Oh my. That was a lovely quilt. So sad that it had to burn. Good
luck on redoing it.

M.I.Late 09-10-2011 06:02 PM

Be sure to use the piece with her initials on the remade quilt. I guess I'll have to ask the question no one else seems to be asking. How do the remnants smell? It is not easy to get a "smoke smell" out after a fire. I know from experience. Has the color been permanently altered?

debcavan 09-10-2011 06:03 PM

Amazing story.

luvTooQuilt 09-10-2011 06:19 PM

Sorry to hear of the fire and all her loss.. MY MIL made teddy bears from the usable parts of great grandmothers quilt..

Wonderful thought...