Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   This didn't turn out very well :o( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/didnt-turn-out-very-well-o-t39708.html)

danmar 03-16-2010 05:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi there. I got an email from my SIL that she's having a baby shower for my niece Nikki,the end of this month, in VA. She suggested a diaper changing pad if I wanted to make something. I decided to make Nikki 2, but then decided that the
second one was cute so I'd make her a blanket out of it.

The diaper changing pad came out alright I guess. I quilted it on my sewing machines, in what are suppose to be "waves". I am totally new to the machine quilting part, so they didn't turn out to good/straight. The blanket was pretty good until I SID'd it.
Now it kind of ruffles on the edges. I hope she will still like them. I just need to practice ALOT more, on machine quilting.

Front of Diaper Changing Pad 3/13/10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12018[/ATTACH]

Back of Diaper Changing Pad
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12019[/ATTACH]

Nikki's Baby Blanket 3/15/10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12020[/ATTACH]

tlrnhi 03-16-2010 05:16 AM

I think it's cute!!!

mimisharon 03-16-2010 05:18 AM

I think they turned out very nicely. What bothers you?

bkb 03-16-2010 05:20 AM

I guess you could wash it and blame the dryer. I think it is really cute, I know I would be happy to get something that nice,and I bet she will be too.Love both of them.

danmar 03-16-2010 05:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mimisharon

When I was making the blanket, in this next picture it was "square", measuring 40" x 45". (No binding or SID.) Now that I've done those 2 things, it "ruffles" around the edges and it now measures 39" x 44". The back of the blanket looks so pretty to me though. It really shows the SID.

What did I do wrong??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Before the SID and binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12021[/ATTACH]

My favorite part The Back before Binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12093[/ATTACH]

montanaquilter 03-16-2010 05:26 AM

looks to me like you did a good job. i like the waves on the changing pad--looks cool and different!! i think they are both absolutely beautiful!!

Rachelcb80 03-16-2010 05:27 AM

I guess I'm failing to see what the problem was. Both look very nice. Is it the upclose inspection of the stitches that bother you? If so, I bet your niece will never notice something that small.

Bailey's mom 03-16-2010 05:27 AM

I like them alot!

Rachelcb80 03-16-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by danmar

Originally Posted by mimisharon

When I was making the blanket, in this next picture it was "square", measuring 40" x 45". (No binding or SID.) Now that I've done those 2 things, it "ruffles" around the edges and it now measures 39" x 44". The back of the blanket looks so pretty to me though. It really shows the SID.

What did I do wrong??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As far as I've ever known, quilting almost always causes some shrinkage. I think it's just a given a quilt will come down in size a little after it's quilted. I don't think you did anything wrong.

Dancing Needle 03-16-2010 05:31 AM

I like them both! It looks like the dogs are peeking out of the squares. :) I'm sure she's going to love them!