Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Do I have a treasure? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/do-i-have-treasure-t24101.html)

tlrnhi 08-13-2009 10:26 AM

OMG! You DO have a treasure there!
AWESOME!!!

MissMermaid 08-13-2009 10:27 AM

Hi there, there are still a few shops around that do restoration and repairs, you might want to scour your area and see if there's a local place.

I'm currently in southeastern Wisconsin and there is a shop in the town I live in that does repairs and whatnots on singers--the other guy who did the repairs out of his home retired a handful of years ago (and died--quite the shock to my grandmother when she couldn't get HER red eye fixed by HIM, he'd been working on all her machines for decades...gosh i wish i could have inherited that machine, but i digress.)

hopefully you can get the machine up and working, they're quite lovely, and far fewer "issues" than the modern plastic and computerized ones.

good luck!

joykey 08-13-2009 10:45 AM

I'll say you have a treasure!
The belts are easily bought online and defintely check out the treadleon website as other posters have suggested.
the cabinet is beautiful and I know I have seen information online on how to care for those as well.
I have a red eye and my cabinet got messed up(WET) when we moved and I had it in storage. I however picked up a cabinet in good shape at a yard sale for 10 bucks. that was the cabinet only.
YEP you got a treasure! A usable treasure! And it was actually your grandma's That is great
think of when the power is out due to a snowstorm and you can be sitting by the fireplace,sewing and quilting away.

Pam S 08-13-2009 11:17 AM

It sure is a treasure! You might be able to get a belt from your local sewing machine store if they do repairs. I was in my local store one day for something else and happened to mention that I had my great-grandma's treadle but the belt was broken. The repair guy went to his cabinet, whipped out a new belt and explained how to put it on and how to cut it to size - really easy to do. I think he charged me a couple of dollars for it. There are several good books out there that explain how to use and maintain treadles - check on-line. I got one from Clothilde. Enjoy your machine. It's beautiful.

Darlene 08-13-2009 11:21 AM

Your machine is a real treasure and heirloom. It was meant to be yours because it knew you would take care of it.

Deara 08-13-2009 11:37 AM

What a blessing to have your grandmother's treadle.
She is a beauty.
Here is another website you might want to check out.
It called needlebar.org
They have a wonderful group of people who have a wealth of info on Singers and other oldie (pre 1960) machines.
Lots and lots of pictures too.
Happy peddling.........
Deara

sewjoyce 08-13-2009 12:26 PM

You definitely have a treasure!!! And to have belonged to your grandmother -- that is just awesome!!

motomom 08-13-2009 12:36 PM

Cool. It isn't that hard to find a belt for it. I used one for years that had very rusty mechanisms and gearing on the inside of the machine, because it had been left on a back porch for a while. It still sewed beautifully!

NorBanaquilts 08-13-2009 12:37 PM

Oh wow, that is a great machine :mrgreen:

Shemjo 08-13-2009 01:29 PM

Ooooh, how pretty! Yes, you do have a treasure! Lovely! :lol: :lol: