Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   double knit quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/double-knit-quilts-t22163.html)

jbsstrawberry 07-01-2009 03:29 PM

butterflywing , those are some outstanding quilts!!! I'm gonna have to keep my eye out for double knits now too!! and to think I've been passing over double knit fabric at garage sales!!! I know better now! (doubtful that mine will look that good, but i'm willing to give it a go anywho LOL)

jbsstrawberry 07-01-2009 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing

Originally Posted by Ducky
Oh, I especially love the last one! How was the fabric to sew on?

the stitches kept popping as it was being handled because the stuff kept stretching. i didn't have a large throat sewing machine, so every time i tried to push it through the throat, it popped more. you can't top-stitch at all because it's too thick and stretchy. every needle i used wanted to skip stitches. i kept having to double back. it seemed endless. but i couldn't waste all that fabric.

thanks for the compliment.

Would one of the ball point needles made for knits work for sewing the double knit piecing? I have a packet of them I thought I'd never need.

deedum 07-01-2009 03:43 PM

Oh love it! I have 2 double knit quilts that I bought from a lady who used to make and sell them. Mine are not pretty except to me perhaps. They are warm and wear forever! My kids (all grown now) always called them my good quilts. I love the patterns you have.

kluedesigns 07-01-2009 03:44 PM

WOW

these are just spectacular and i just love how you sign your quilts.

is the signature on the front or the back? i see now that its on the front.

butterflywing 07-01-2009 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry

Would one of the ball point needles made for knits work for sewing the double knit piecing? I have a packet of them I thought I'd never need.

yes. that's what i ended up using. they were much better than anything else. i used the biggest size i could find, but they still needed special handling. i also used heavier thread.

littlehud 07-01-2009 05:58 PM

Those are beautiful. I never would have thought of using double knit fabric for a quilt, but you have shown me that can be done and done well. Thanks.

butterflywing 07-01-2009 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
is the signature on the front or the back? i see now that its on the front.

on the king especially the signature corners being on the left hand bottom alerted me to how to lay it out on the bed.

Debbie1 07-01-2009 06:23 PM

Those are so great - I love your tag! Thanks for sharing.

tuesy 07-01-2009 07:31 PM

Beautiful quilts!!! I can't imagine how you did these as I know the DK is so much heavier...

k3n 07-02-2009 12:25 AM

WOW BW - I love all three but I think especially the geese. Or maybe the stars, or the geese LOL!

I like the way you did the little hearts between the year too.