Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Fat Quarter collection (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/fat-quarter-collection-t293246.html)

Sew Freak 12-12-2017 04:55 AM

I never like FQs until I found I could use them in a med.pumpkin seed pattern....I used to always buy (I hate to admit) 3yds of fabric when I didn't know what I would make with it....at least I knew I'd have enough. But buying like that left me with a LOT of material for scrappies. I've bought FQs when JA has them on sale and I too just like looking at them on the shelf!!! (Nasty habit!!!) But I am seriously trying to get around to using them up---not easy!!! LOL!

luvstoquilt 12-12-2017 05:05 AM

I have an old card catalog cabinet full and two large containers that slide under a bed full and I do use them. I recently made a quilt that used 45 fats..didn't make a dent! I wish I would quit buying but the fabric is so beautiful I can't help it. It is really my only vice!

lindaschipper 12-12-2017 05:39 AM

I had (have) a complete dresser filled with fat quarters. Each drawer was for a specified color and had dividers to separate the rows of fabric. After years of petting the fabric I realized what a waste it was not to use them. Finally spent a month cutting each one up into a 10 x 10 square, charm squares and a left over strip that I can cut 2 l/2" pieces from. The 10 x 10 are in plastic containers, I have 8 cube containers of charms, and I'm currently pairing the neutral strips with color strips to later use for a 9 patch quilt. I can finally see me using my material up!

AVFD215 12-12-2017 06:19 AM

What a great selection.

I don't buy fabric just to buy fabric. I have been known to mis-calculate the yardage I need for a quilt (mostly because I do not want to not have enough). Last time I looked I had a small pile about 2 feet tall. (yes I know 2ft not worth mentioning here (LOL)).
Mike

Boston1954 12-12-2017 06:39 AM

My sister gave me about 52 of them a couple of years ago. I have no trouble using them though.

Mousie 12-12-2017 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 7960766)
You crack me up, DJ.

Unfortunately, I think my stash gets more affection than my family members.

lol, both of you :D :D :D

paintmejudy 12-12-2017 08:25 AM

scraps galore

1 Attachment(s)
I am a Scrappy Lover, so I always have a use for FQs and used to be given many by a now deceased friend who loved to buy FQs. And when some piece of fabric gets too small I cut it into a FQ. The drawers are about half and half FQ size and when pieces get cut away.

Snooze2978 12-12-2017 08:33 AM

I have a large collection of fat quarters too it seems. I keep mine in shoe box size totes by color as I have acquired that many and some of the boxes are getting quite full.

JuneBillie 12-12-2017 09:16 AM

Nice collection.

Tudey 12-12-2017 09:38 AM

I have two of those plastic drawer units on wheels (perfect size for FQ's) and they are about 2/3 full right now. I LOVE FQ's!