Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Finished BOM quilt, updated pics page 3 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/finished-bom-quilt-updated-pics-page-3-a-t23021.html)

Justquilting 07-20-2009 12:43 PM

Beautiful quilt but....my eye goes right to the dark one.
If you don't like it now.....your not going to like it next week or next year.
change it now.. It's not too late.

Better to like what you give than always say I should have.
:wink:

rein 07-20-2009 01:06 PM

I love it - but agree with those who say you most likely should remove the block that you d not like.

As faras the borders - I would think the piano keys - were you to put them right next to the blocks, would be very distracting and would detract from all your beautiful block building. Think that a narrow (2 to 3 inches) border in a plane medium to lighter tone used in the quilt would be better and then do the keys if you want to make it to size. Kind of along the line of mytwopals thoughts.

amma 07-20-2009 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Here are my thoughts.

1. I wouldn't put 2 large borders next to each other, even though the one will be piano key style.
2. Put in a 2-3" border of the dark brown? fabric used in the "Dark Block". This will bring out the darks in all the blocks, including the dark block and make it less noticable.
3. Then put in a smaller border 1-1.5" of the tan or even a lighter red.
4. Then finally the piano key border at 4-5", depending on the final size desired.

Yep!

I agree, too :wink:

Ninnie 07-20-2009 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by amma

Originally Posted by sewjoyce

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Here are my thoughts.

1. I wouldn't put 2 large borders next to each other, even though the one will be piano key style.
2. Put in a 2-3" border of the dark brown? fabric used in the "Dark Block". This will bring out the darks in all the blocks, including the dark block and make it less noticable.
3. Then put in a smaller border 1-1.5" of the tan or even a lighter red.
4. Then finally the piano key border at 4-5", depending on the final size desired.

Yep!

I agree, too :wink:

me too! :D

QuiltMania 07-20-2009 02:43 PM

I agree with you on the dark block. My eyes fly right to it every time. I think the piano keys border might be a little too busy and may take away from the blocks. I'd be tempted to do a simple border of the fabric that you used to make the squares between the sashing or of the fabric that makes the middle of the block that is 2nd from the right on the top row.

Iluv2quilt 07-20-2009 02:48 PM

Your blocks are awesome! I believe I would replace the darker block with one like the others, then I'd probably put a 1 1/2 to 2 inch stop border on then the piano keys, then maybe a 3 inch light border and a dark binding. Whatever you do it'll be pretty, you've got a great start!

Sisters Embroidery 07-20-2009 02:59 PM

I agree w/the last several ladies. I'd change the block out, not use piano key border, you want all your hard work on your blocks to show and change up your border sizes. Which color is your favorite? I think i'd use a light small border 1st then the fav. color in a larger border to make that color pop off the bed for you. (tell the bf "no more ice cream in bed then keeping the quilt clean w/no longer be a problem"!)
Great job! I'm so glad to see another gen. quilting! (can u call my daughter?!) :|

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 07-20-2009 04:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, so after much arguing with myself, I unpicked that block that was bugging me, and swapped the dark for some light. I tried out the border idea, tested it and I think I really like it! SO, there will be a 2" dark inside border, the strips that are there, and then a 4 or 5" light border to close everything off. The border that is currently there is 8"

littlehud 07-20-2009 06:59 PM

I love your ideas for borders. The dark block is eye catching. If you don't like it change it now. It would be a shame if you didn't like this wonderful quilt because of one block.

Iluv2quilt 07-20-2009 07:02 PM

You really did a wonderful job! I really like your change! The borders will look great.