Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Finished BOM quilt, updated pics page 3 >

Finished BOM quilt, updated pics page 3

Finished BOM quilt, updated pics page 3

Old 07-20-2009, 11:10 AM

So, I started this project with my mother a few months ago, we are both doing the same blocks in the same size, in our own colours.
I chose reds and browns because the quilt is going in our bedroom to replace the duvet that's there now and my bf thinks it's a pain to keep clean because it's white.
Anyway, so this is my quilt, nearly finished, and I'm unsure of what kind of border I would like to put on it.
My original idea was to have a 4" border all the way around made up of 1 or 2 inch strips of all my colours I've used in the quilt, kind of like piano keys, and then another 4 or 5 inch border in the light tan colour to finish off.
However, I'd like to hear from you guys to see if someone has a better idea than I.

Also, there is one dark block near the middle, and I don't like it. I don't know if I don't like it enough to change it or just leave it as is.... maybe I'll just switch the burgundy center of that particular block for a plain tan... *sigh* I don't know.

OK, enough yammering, here is my quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-20204.jpe   attachment-35719.jpe   attachment-36094.jpe  
Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
farscapegal

My eyes go straight to the darkest block every time I look at it.

It is very pretty and I like the idea of the piano keys border with another border beside it.

Sybil

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM

I like the piano key border as well. Looks beautiful! the darker block does stand out. Do you think that you will hate that as time goes by? If you think it will ruin the quilt for you, I would change it and lighten it up a tad.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:27 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

The dark brown is pretty, but my eye goes to that one also....seems to stand out...
How about using that for accent "throw" pillow on top of bed instead?

Just a thought!

You do VERY nice work!!! I hope I can do as nice!

I think the piano keys border is a great idea, and then I'd use a darker color on the outside border to really make it pop.
If the dark block really isn't liked, I'd definitely change it out because if you don't like it now, you'll end up hating it later.

Great work BTW

Here are my thoughts.

1. I wouldn't put 2 large borders next to each other, even though the one will be piano key style.
2. Put in a 2-3" border of the dark brown? fabric used in the "Dark Block". This will bring out the darks in all the blocks, including the dark block and make it less noticable.
3. Then put in a smaller border 1-1.5" of the tan or even a lighter red.
4. Then finally the piano key border at 4-5", depending on the final size desired.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I would replace the dark block - it really does stand out -

what are the chances that you will like it better 10 years from now?

It would be relatively easy to change it now - you wouldn't even have to do drastic unsewing to do it.

But it is your quilt - sooooooo

I am not that good at visualizing borders - - -
Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

PS I like the colors you have chosen - and the blocks
Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 PM

I agree about "the dark block". Love the idea of it as an accent pillow for the bed.

I think the Piano keys border would be great. I might add a small 2 inch border to stop your eyes, then make the piano keys a bit larger--like 4 inches--IF you have enough fabric.

I had to laugh about the white duvet cover. We have a white quilt in the top of our closet. It got to the cleaners and put into a bag when we had kids--ummmm...17 years ago. :lol:
Old 07-20-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Here are my thoughts.

1. I wouldn't put 2 large borders next to each other, even though the one will be piano key style.
2. Put in a 2-3" border of the dark brown? fabric used in the "Dark Block". This will bring out the darks in all the blocks, including the dark block and make it less noticable.
3. Then put in a smaller border 1-1.5" of the tan or even a lighter red.
4. Then finally the piano key border at 4-5", depending on the final size desired.

Yep!