Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Finished my 2nd quilt top! Any ideas for quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/finished-my-2nd-quilt-top-any-ideas-quilting-t71728.html)

karenm36 10-22-2010 05:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So happy with the way my 2nd quilt top has turned out! It needs to be layered, quilted and then the binding will be the darker lavender color that's in the sashing.

Now to the quilting...since it's going to be used on a daily basis I was thinking of SID along the 9 inch blocks (this might make it more durable is what I was thinking...is this right?) and then hand stitching something in the 9 patch blocks...probably in the white blocks. Never having done hand quilting but wanting to learn...any one have any ideas what might be a good way to start?

I have just enough floral fabric left to make a pair of pillow cases to match. I made this quilt in honor of my Grandma, Elinor, and my Mother, Virginia. They were both remarkable women. They would have both been so pleased (and surprised!) to see this! ;-)

This is a queen size
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97516[/ATTACH]

Side view so show the border which will have a dk. lavender binding when it's done
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97517[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking of quilting inside the white blocks...ideas?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97535[/ATTACH]

bj 10-22-2010 05:38 PM

I only know how to SID, so no helpful ideas. But I love the quilt. Purple is my favorite color.

mom-6 10-22-2010 05:42 PM

I immediately thought of doing hearts since it is in memory of your mother and grandmother.

I also thought about roses because of the flowers in the print, but those might be more challenging.

littlehud 10-22-2010 05:44 PM

That is just beautiful. Great color. I would do a small flower in each white square.

wolfkitty 10-22-2010 05:45 PM

What does it say on the batting package, as to how far apart the stitching can be? If it is to be used daily as you said, you may want to SID the whole thing and them decorate with the heart quilting, as you suggested.

Dollysquiltingmom 10-22-2010 05:45 PM

That is very beautiful.

moonwolf23 10-22-2010 05:51 PM

Hearts?

What was the ladies who you are honoring favorite symbol?

karenm36 10-22-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
What does it say on the batting package, as to how far apart the stitching can be? If it is to be used daily as you said, you may want to SID the whole thing and them decorate with the heart quilting, as you suggested.

Good point! This is Dream Cotton...100% cotton...and it says the stitching may be up to 8 inches apart...and these are nine inch blocks. Probably would be better to SID the whole thing as you suggested. Then do something else in the white blocks. BTW, what's the best method of drawing a design on the blocks that will wash out?

karenm36 10-22-2010 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Hearts?

Pansies were their favorite flowers. Hearts or pansies might be nice. I wonder if I could quilt a pansy that would actually look like one when it was all said and done?! ;-)

moonwolf23 10-22-2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by karenm36

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Hearts?

Pansies were their favorite flowers. Hearts or pansies might be nice. I wonder if I could quilt a pansy that would actually look like one when it was all said and done?! ;-)

Well, I would heartily encourage you to try. Then post a tutorial for us all:)