Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Finished my first Log Cabin - Calm Sky Log Cabin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/finished-my-first-log-cabin-calm-sky-log-cabin-t321219.html)

quiltsfor 07-29-2023 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 8610876)
Your quilt is beautiful. I've always wanted to try the QAYG method. Did you use a tutorial online & if so could you link to it. There are so many ways to do QAYG. I did a small placemat using Leah Day's method (just to see if I could do it) & it turned out good. I'd like to try a few more from different tutorials before I tackle a large quilt.

I have watched a lot of videos and there are so many methods. Finding ones with doing it with sashing are pretty easy to find, and I really liked Leah Day's method for that and she is the one I followed for the Quilt as You Go with Sashing. Putting the blocks together - step 9 I actually ordered I believe her step 9 for the written instructions.

For the Quilt as you Go without sashing, I finally found one that I liked and it worked well for me. It was Carolyn Forster that won me over on her method. I found a very, very short demo video of hers, which just perked my interest in her QAYG method, (unfortunately it was very short and didn't show much) Here is that video: Quilting on the Go Tip . I was able to find her book that all the instructions in it. I really liked that, as I could refer to her book as needed. This is the book Quilt As You Go: a practical guide to 14 inspiring techniques & projects

quiltsfor 07-29-2023 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2 (Post 8610888)
I just love log cabins, yours turned out beautiful and I love the quilting you did. I have been meaning to try Eleanor Burns QAYG method for a log cabin, I have the book. You give me hope.
Thank you for sharing.

I actually used Eleanor Burns log cabin ruler for cutting the logs. It made quick work of all the cutting! I also have her book as well: Eleanor Burns This is the ruler I used: Quilt in a Day Original Log Cabin Ruler

I was nervous about getting all the logs cut right and this ruler made it so easy.

quiltsfor 07-29-2023 10:57 AM

Thanks everyone so much for the nice compliments!

SusieQOH 07-29-2023 11:08 AM

Such a beauty! You did a wonderful job on it.

osewme 07-29-2023 11:17 AM

Thanks for the links! I will check them all out.

Sync 07-29-2023 01:15 PM

Wonderful log cabin quilt.

cjsews 07-30-2023 03:42 AM

Great job. It reminds me of my first quilt which was a log cabin. I love the traditional blocks

WMUTeach 07-30-2023 03:44 AM

A must do on every quilter's list in one form or another. A basic and an exercise in accurate cutting, color selection and placement. You GOT IT! Well done and a lovely result.

KathyE 07-30-2023 04:51 AM

Beautiful job! Love log cabin quilts.

Minnesewta-sam 07-30-2023 05:17 AM

I love your quilt! The name is very fitting too. Thanks for sharing!