Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First attempt at Whole Cloth (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-attempt-whole-cloth-t29449.html)

renee765 11-29-2009 05:32 AM

This is one technique that is so totally beyond my comprehension. I know that you do it with your quilting techniques, but I can't imagine anything I quilted turning out so lovely.

Renee

sewjoyce 11-29-2009 08:22 AM

Gosh -- they are both just gorgeous!! :D

Iluv2quilt 11-29-2009 08:24 AM

Wow, what beautiful work!

Quilter Marshall 11-29-2009 02:31 PM

They are beautiful.Were they hard to do?

n2scraplvr 11-29-2009 02:50 PM

Those are both gorgeously done! Did you use chalk? stencils? It's not really as hard as it looks, is it? Love the feather stitching the Amish are known for! Can't wait to try my hand at it! :D :D :D 8)

Maride 11-29-2009 03:07 PM

I marked them with a water soluble pen and the truth is that is not hard at all. I marked them on Sunday and that night did a little sewing (the center grid and the shapes around it. On Monday night finish that and started the microquilting. On Tuesday night finish the quilting and washed it and wednesday squared it and binded. The most difficult part is keeping the lines straight, especially on the curves. The microquilting takes time to control, but once you have it, it is hard to go back to big stipples. I loved making it and can see myself making many more.

The pattern is not my design. It is by Joannie Zeier Poole and her work is just to die for.

Maria

n2scraplvr 11-29-2009 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
I marked them with a water soluble pen and the truth is that is not hard at all. I marked them on Sunday and that night did a little sewing (the center grid and the shapes around it. On Monday night finish that and started the microquilting. On Tuesday night finish the quilting and washed it and wednesday squared it and binded. The most difficult part is keeping the lines straight, especially on the curves. The microquilting takes time to control, but once you have it, it is hard to go back to big stipples. I loved making it and can see myself making many more.

The pattern is not my design. It is by Joannie Zeier Poole and her work is just to die for.

Maria

Thank you for telling the technique. Do you have to do much smaller stitches on the curves? Go really slow on curves, right? It appears to be trapunto looking. Is it? They are not stuffed with batting. They just look it, right? We can see the green design better and it's a dynamite design. Knowing me, I wd probably make my own designs. Will you ever stipple again? Or is the microquilting just addictive? Fantastic work! :D

Izy 11-29-2009 03:35 PM

Those are marvellous!! So when are you doing a full bed size???? :lol:

wvdek 11-29-2009 04:20 PM

Wow! those are lovely.
I can't imagine how you do these.
I am visual learner so would need to see in person and then lots of practice, practice, practice.
Nicely done.

Maride 11-29-2009 06:04 PM

Thank you for telling the technique. Do you have to do much smaller stitches on the curves? Go really slow on curves, right? It appears to be trapunto looking. Is it? They are not stuffed with batting. They just look it, right? We can see the green design better and it's a dynamite design. Knowing me, I wd probably make my own designs. Will you ever stipple again? Or is the microquilting just addictive? Fantastic work! :D [/quote]

I go really slow on the curves.

Is not trapunto. I used wool batting and it puffs up without the need for trapunto. It is really addictive and I am already working on my own design. I hate to copy other people's work. I never work with patterns, but I didn't want to spend time drawing. I wanted to sew!!!