Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at Whole Cloth

Here they are: The white is about 15 x 15 and the green about 12 x 12. I had so much fun making them
    Attached Images Attached Images

my goodness they are both stunning. well done. ciao

Beautiful - did you do them by hand or machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    Beautiful - did you do them by hand or machine?
    I used my Bernina.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Both are stunning!!! Beautifully Done!!! :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    Very nice!

Oh wow. Those are awesome. Great job.

really nice.

Very pretty!

Blog Entries
    I am so intimated by that quilting. I don't know how you do it....so tiny and so perfect!!! WOW!!!

This is one technique that is so totally beyond my comprehension. I know that you do it with your quilting techniques, but I can't imagine anything I quilted turning out so lovely.

Renee

Gosh -- they are both just gorgeous!! :D

Wow, what beautiful work!

They are beautiful.Were they hard to do?

Those are both gorgeously done! Did you use chalk? stencils? It's not really as hard as it looks, is it? Love the feather stitching the Amish are known for! Can't wait to try my hand at it! :D :D :D 8)

I marked them with a water soluble pen and the truth is that is not hard at all. I marked them on Sunday and that night did a little sewing (the center grid and the shapes around it. On Monday night finish that and started the microquilting. On Tuesday night finish the quilting and washed it and wednesday squared it and binded. The most difficult part is keeping the lines straight, especially on the curves. The microquilting takes time to control, but once you have it, it is hard to go back to big stipples. I loved making it and can see myself making many more.

The pattern is not my design. It is by Joannie Zeier Poole and her work is just to die for.

Maria

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I marked them with a water soluble pen and the truth is that is not hard at all. I marked them on Sunday and that night did a little sewing (the center grid and the shapes around it. On Monday night finish that and started the microquilting. On Tuesday night finish the quilting and washed it and wednesday squared it and binded. The most difficult part is keeping the lines straight, especially on the curves. The microquilting takes time to control, but once you have it, it is hard to go back to big stipples. I loved making it and can see myself making many more.

The pattern is not my design. It is by Joannie Zeier Poole and her work is just to die for.

Maria
    Thank you for telling the technique. Do you have to do much smaller stitches on the curves? Go really slow on curves, right? It appears to be trapunto looking. Is it? They are not stuffed with batting. They just look it, right? We can see the green design better and it's a dynamite design. Knowing me, I wd probably make my own designs. Will you ever stipple again? Or is the microquilting just addictive? Fantastic work! :D

Izy
    Those are marvellous!! So when are you doing a full bed size???? :lol:

Wow! those are lovely.
    I can't imagine how you do these.
    I am visual learner so would need to see in person and then lots of practice, practice, practice.
    Nicely done.

Thank you for telling the technique. Do you have to do much smaller stitches on the curves? Go really slow on curves, right? It appears to be trapunto looking. Is it? They are not stuffed with batting. They just look it, right? We can see the green design better and it's a dynamite design. Knowing me, I wd probably make my own designs. Will you ever stipple again? Or is the microquilting just addictive? Fantastic work! :D [/quote]

I go really slow on the curves.

Is not trapunto. I used wool batting and it puffs up without the need for trapunto. It is really addictive and I am already working on my own design. I hate to copy other people's work. I never work with patterns, but I didn't want to spend time drawing. I wanted to sew!!!

Is not trapunto. I used wool batting and it puffs up without the need for trapunto.!!![/quote]

I thought it looked puffed up! That's why I love it so! Know what you mean about using other people's designs. It is so easy to design something I just wish other people were like you and wd try it! :wink: :D

Maride, I am in the process of buying a Bernina... But not too sure which one to buy... The one I want costs as much as a house!!! so that is out of the question.... There is the AURORA and the ARTISTA.... which one do you have and which one would you recommend.. Thanks ciao....

Blog Entries
    Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by dannypanny
    Maride, I am in the process of buying a Bernina... But not too sure which one to buy... The one I want costs as much as a house!!! so that is out of the question.... There is the AURORA and the ARTISTA.... which one do you have and which one would you recommend.. Thanks ciao....
    I have an Artista 630. It is a great machine and I would recommend it to anyone. It was given to me almost new and I have nothing to complaint about with this machine. For doing this kind of work I used my open toe darning foot. Many people recommend the closed toe, but your stitches are so small and there is no applique, so the open one is better to see where are you going.

I am in total love with the 830; yes, the one that costs as much as a car, but I may never own one.

Great job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast