Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First "floating top" quilt - Scrappy D9P (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-floating-top-quilt-scrappy-d9p-t227750.html)

CarolynMT 08-11-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 6228958)
Don't know what floating is, but the quilt looks perfect for napping. Great Job.

Normally when you load a quilt onto a frame for long arming, you put the backing on 2 rollers, then you put one side of the top of the quilt on a roller. so the only thing hanging from the frame is the batting. As you advance the quilt on the rollers, it is supposed to keep everything aligned and straight.
Floating a top means you do not attach it to the roller. so it basically "floats", this provides the ability to shift it if needed. However, it has a drawback that it does shift ;) It is generally recommended to baste it along the top and sides, especially when you float a top. I always baste mine, more because the backing/batting are under tension, via the rollers and the clips you put on the sides to add tension in that direction. I find basting the top keeps it under tension as well, and keeps things nice and smooth.

IrishNY 08-11-2013 04:43 PM

I also float my tops. Faster to start and less chance of the top and back not being properly aligned.

misoop 08-11-2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 (Post 6228880)
I float mine also. I took off that bar as I just was not using it. I have the same machine that you do.

If I like floating, I will be taking that bar off, too. Will be so much easier to put batting on, etc. Just wondering, does that give you anymore quilting room? Probably not....just easier to set up the quilt sandwich??? BTW, do you have the same frame? If so, just wondering what the name of this frame is called? Is it the professional studio frame or what? Mine is 12 ft.

ladypetite 08-11-2013 06:02 PM

I am so jealous of all of you discussing how you "float" the quilts you are quilting. Perhaps someday I will get there :-) By the way....that quilt is really sweet :-)

amelia0607 08-11-2013 06:10 PM

While I appreciate the explanation of floating, I don't think I'll ever get accomplished enough to use a frame like that. It's totally amazing all the wonderful tools that are available!!

hperttula123 08-11-2013 06:13 PM

How great!!! I float smaller tops. I can't seem to keep them nice if they are bigger than a lap size. Then I use the rollers. It does save alot of time doing it that way. It doesn't work well for me with any thick poly batting though. No matter what size, I have to use the rollers or it's wonky.

ssnare 08-11-2013 06:18 PM

Very nice quilt.

redquilter 08-11-2013 06:24 PM

Not having a quilting machine I really don't know what floating is but I can tell you this - that's a great scrappy D9P.

IzzysGrammie 08-11-2013 07:06 PM

I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about (floating quilts...?) but I think it turned out nice! LOL!

juneeloonee 08-12-2013 02:59 AM

Love that D9P! Pretty materials. I, also, float my tops and have been successful in floating several king-sized quilts. So often I just need to check underneath to see how the batting is lying.