Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First "floating top" quilt - Scrappy D9P (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-floating-top-quilt-scrappy-d9p-t227750.html)

dogsgod 08-12-2013 04:24 AM

Thanks for the input all! I can't imagine not having my quilts somewhat taut on the frame, but I guess it's just what you are used to. I too have the "red snappers" and absolutely love them! Takes no time at all to load a quilt and they are so easy to use!

gabeway 08-12-2013 04:27 AM

Awesome use of scraps!

Tartan 08-12-2013 04:39 AM

:(I would love the opportunity to roll or float! No long arm.

#1piecemaker 08-12-2013 04:55 AM

I didn't know that you could float your quilt tops. Hummmmmmm..... My batting is floating. Do you let your batting float too? I can't tell from the picture. By the way, I love your D9P. It is beautiful!!!

mighty 08-12-2013 06:09 AM

Beautiful quilt. I float some of mine.

Baloonatic 08-12-2013 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT (Post 6228979)
Floating a top means you do not attach it to the roller. so it basically "floats", this provides the ability to shift it if needed. However, it has a drawback that it does shift ;)

It is certainly faster. I float almost all the smaller lap size and charity quilts. Yes, they can shift on you if not careful! But a big plus is I always can easily see what my batting is doing

wolph33 08-12-2013 06:48 AM

floating a large top was a disaster for me-way too wonky-I will gladly spend 15 min pinning it on to keep every thing taut together and straight.floating small tops works ok but I still prefer pinning all tops for better results.maybe I am missing something in the details on floating to get a straight top and not a slight parallelogram

Mariposa 08-12-2013 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33 (Post 6229979)
floating a large top was a disaster for me-way too wonky-I will gladly spend 15 min pinning it on to keep every thing taut together and straight.floating small tops works ok but I still prefer pinning all tops for better results.maybe I am missing something in the details on floating to get a straight top and not a slight parallelogram

*Me too. (perhaps a bit of OCD-?) Anyways, I have your same set up (missoop), and I love it!

misoop 08-12-2013 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by redquilter (Post 6229209)
Not having a quilting machine I really don't know what floating is but I can tell you this - that's a great scrappy D9P.

Thank you!! I started quilting it this morning. I put it on the frame "long-wise" across the bars, and I got one pass finished. Had to quit before my shoulders started hurting. Old age is the pits, but it sure beats the alternative!! But that is one long pass!! I estimate 3 more and I'll be finished.

misoop 08-12-2013 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa (Post 6230003)
*Me too. (perhaps a bit of OCD-?) Anyways, I have your same set up (missoop), and I love it!

Yes, I love mine, too, Mariposa!! Just wondering what my frame is called....if you have the same...is it a professional studio frame? Just wondering in case I ever want to sell it, and that won't happen unless I get unable physically to quilt? Ha