Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   first mini and lots of ????? about PP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-mini-lots-about-pp-t58762.html)

nativetexan 08-12-2010 12:25 PM

i always hold my fabric along the left of the foot as it goes under the needle. sometimes the feed dog will pull your fabric one way or the other and it just needs some guidance. some use a pointed stilleto to help the fabric go straight.
perhaps a scant 1/4 inch seam would work for you better. that is to stitch just on the inside of the seam line.

granny_59 08-12-2010 12:34 PM

I do that too, but adding a 1/8" sashing on lots of intersections is a bit tricky.............
Somebody suggested to use the zipperfoot and attaching that one I thought: what a great idea. Sadly the transport was not working properly anymore. Maybe with extra paper under it - will try that tomorrow

Rhonda 08-12-2010 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by granny_59
thank you all for the feedback, I went trough the links and also the mini section on this board.
Most available patterns start with 3" blocks. Waaaaay too big.....I reduced some with the printer down but I will make it like Rhonda and just draw regular patterns very little on paper.
As I will need 6" finished size I will just have to try out.

I have any of my patterns you can make a 6" finished quilt block easily with my cut down method. Have you seen the Sampler Quilt threads? I provide the templates for this and 6 1/2" unfinished is one of the two sizes I send the templates out for. The smallest template for this is 1 1/2"

I can also provide you with a 1" or 1 1/4" template and you can make them smaller yet if you like.

I used to draw each square and cut it out but I don't do that so much anymore. The cut down makes it so much easier to do any size.

Rhonda 08-12-2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by granny_59
I do that too, but adding a 1/8" sashing on lots of intersections is a bit tricky.............
Somebody suggested to use the zipperfoot and attaching that one I thought: what a great idea. Sadly the transport was not working properly anymore. Maybe with extra paper under it - will try that tomorrow

I use a strip that is 1" wide or wider(the wider it is the bigger your leftover strip is and you can use it for the next sashing til it is too small to reuse) and sew it on and then cut down to 1/2" from the seam. Then when you sew onto the raw edge you end up with a 1/8" sashing. I do this all the time.

You do have to watch your seam is straight or you will lose your 1/8" wide sashing.

pab58 08-12-2010 08:37 PM

WOW!!! :shock: That's incredible! I don't know how people can make such tiny patterns!! :shock: Beautiful job!! :thumbup:

annette1952 08-12-2010 09:55 PM

Your mini is very pretty! Love the fabrics you chose!

barbrdunn 08-12-2010 10:43 PM

Granny 59, you do such lovely work! Keep posting pictures to inspire me.

zz-pd 08-13-2010 12:26 PM

WOW you did a fantastic job, I cant answer any of your question. but beautiful little quilt. God bless. Penny

cyniree 08-14-2010 09:03 AM

oh, so tiny, love it

pennyswings 08-14-2010 03:28 PM

Awesome job.
I have enough trouble getting my points to match on a normal sized quilt, I couldn't even imagine doing one of these. :thumbup: