Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   First pictures of my new one - Part 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/first-pictures-my-new-one-part-2-a-t118450.html)

TeresaT 04-25-2011 05:03 AM

I love seeing your quilts. I wish I could touch them. Thank you for sharing.

moreland 04-25-2011 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
YOUR QUILTING IS SO AMAZING!!!! :thumbup: :D :thumbup:

I agree!

dphelps 04-25-2011 05:18 AM

I too, always look forward to seeing your work. It is absolutely stunning, I could only wish to have such perfect stitches.

Borntohandquilt 04-25-2011 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Thank you so much for the tips. I want to make another whole cloth quilt. I love to hand quilt. How much planning do you suggest? Do I start at the edges with planning and go to the middle? Or vice versa? My first quilt was a pre printed whole cloth. This time I want to make my own design. Teach me o master quilter!!!

I think it is your very personal decision who much you plan your quilt design in advance. Some need exact planning, some do a master sheet, others just have a rough idea and start! I always start in the middle of the quilt and work towards the edges. After I have finished the center designs (also the quilting) I devide the rest in quarters, mark the first quarter and quilt it. The very last step is to quilt two or three lines around the complete quilt and close the edges.
My quilt designs are very much inspired by traditional British wholecloths like the Welsh and the North Country ones. They are no exact reproductions because I add some details or change some patterns and do my own designs.

Peggyinno 04-25-2011 05:37 AM

Your quilting is AWESOME!!!! Can't wait to see this one finished!

kwhite 04-25-2011 05:37 AM

Thank you so much. I think I may start with a smaller wall hanging and move on from there. I don't want to overwhelm myself straight out of the gate. HAHA I will let you know how it goes.

Bobbielinks 04-25-2011 05:41 AM

Your quilts are so very beautiful! I look forward to seeing your pictures. Please post often so we can see the progress of this latest beauty.

Borntohandquilt 04-25-2011 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Thank you so much. I think I may start with a smaller wall hanging and move on from there. I don't want to overwhelm myself straight out of the gate. HAHA I will let you know how it goes.

This is a good idea and exactly how I started to design my own quilts. It is much easier to overlook a smaller design than a big one and you will establish a good sense for the proportion of a center design and the borders etc. I am sure you will make a good job and I am looking forward to seeing the first pics!

kwhite 04-25-2011 05:44 AM

Ok I know there will be a ton more questions but here goes another. Do you lay in the big design elements and then go back and fill in with the cross hatching or whatever fill in you are going to do?

hperttula123 04-25-2011 05:45 AM

Stunning!!!!